Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First pregnancy - type 1 diabetic

(7 Posts)
firsttime1989 Sun 19-Mar-17 20:57:44

Hi all,
This is my first pregnancy - only 8 weeks 😍 I am a type 1 diabetic and finding it all quite scary (as well as exciting) I am also being monitored for high blood pressure. I worry most of the time especially when my blood sugars do as they please. Any other type 1's out there having problems or can give advice?? I'm so worried I will be harming the baby.
Thanks in advance 😊

Chloe1402 Mon 20-Mar-17 07:02:20

Hi
Type 1 and first time pregnancy too! I'm 19weeks tomorow. I've had joint antenatal/diabetes appointments every 3-4 weeks so far and all is going well. I think the main thing is to keep your sugars well controlled. I am currently self funding CGM which makes a huge difference in keeping on top of what is happening with them and tracking patterns/changes. 😊

drinkyourmilk Mon 20-Mar-17 07:28:28

Hi op.
I've got gestational diabetes, not type 1 - but the ladies on the type1 support thread were very friendly :-
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2699994-Type-1-Diabetes-Pregnancy-Support-Thread

firsttime1989 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:50:57

Thanks to both of you smile. How did you go about self funding cgm? Just when I think they are doing ok I get random highs then I panic! I also seem to have had a cold for two months which isn't helping. The good thing however is I am more wanting savoury foods rather than sweet which was a relief haha x

Chloe1402 Mon 20-Mar-17 18:56:46

It was when I changed pump. I was due to upgrade pumps (through the nhs) and one of the ones on offer was the animas vibe which happened to come with a free starter kit of their CGM. So I tried it from there and haven't looked back - it's pricey but worth every penny for me. As long as your levels aren't constantly up and down, I wouldn't worry too much at this point, we can't be perfect, there's so many factors that affect them normally without then adding in pregnancy. My consultants were more worried about lows during early pregnancy (they still don't understand that my CGM alarms when I get to 4.4 and dropping so I won't ever end up being stupidly low!). Have you had your first antenatal/diabetes clinic yet? They'll be able to advise more so and put your mind at rest.

firsttime1989 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:34:20

I will have a look into that then smile I am on injections as I was never sure about pumps. I have had first appointments and was lucky enough to have a scan ❤️❤️. They were encouraging but I figured it is also nice to know I'm not the only one who is still worried. I'm so looking forward to this and it's all worth it just takes a lot!! Thanks agin for the reassurance 😊

Born2raise Wed 29-Mar-17 11:20:39

Hi girls!
Hope your pregnancies are going well.
I've got type 1 diabetes and have just found our I'm pregnant (first time) so keeping an eye on this thread x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now