Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning (all day!) sickness

(25 Posts)
MrsB12345 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:32:26

Afternoon all. I have been feeling really queasy for the past week. I'm currently 7+2. Haven't been sick and don't think I will and even if I was that it would help so wondering if anyone has any advice on how to ease it or get rid.

I'm back at work tomorrow after a couple of weeks off and not sure how I will get through the day as been sleeping it off the last week with a siesta x

TheLionQueen Sun 19-Mar-17 16:31:29

I feel for you OP, it's really tough and in my experience the only thing that makes it better is time- not what you want to hear I know!
I'm 13+5 now and sickness has been slowly but surely easing for the last couple of weeks.
The usual advice has helped me a bit- keep hydrated, avoid big meals- instead try to eat little and often. I snack quite a bit on cheese crackers,crisps, sliced apple with peanut butter or bowls of cereal.
Just do what you have to do to get through! Hope it eases for you soon!

Lunalovepud Sun 19-Mar-17 16:41:46

Pregnancy sickness is rubbish.

Try sea bands - not sure if they actually work but made me feel better - placebo it not.

And carbs.

Good luck.

DinosaurFanGirl Sun 19-Mar-17 16:46:55

As already mentioned it just takes time. I'm 21 wks and still being sick although it's a lot lot better now. Try to eat small and often and only what you fancy.

For me I found my mint teas were making it a lot worse as I developed a bit of acid reflux. Then I also realised if i wasnt eating asap when I started to get even slightly hungry then I'd be a mess for rest of the day. So maybe try to see if there's anything that might be setting you off?

All the women I know said it went for them by week 16 so hopefully same for you x

Mandraki Sun 19-Mar-17 16:47:53

I'm 11+2 and just slooowwlllyyy coming out of my morning sickness and tiredness. I second using sea bands, they were amazing for me, and almost instant relief, don't care if it's psychosomatic or what; they helped. Also eat little and often, as long as I was never hungry I never felt too sick. Only discovered that after about 2 weeks of feeling rotten though! Keep a bottle of water with you at all times, sip constantly, when it's empty fill it up and start again. Get as much sleep as you can, I definitely felt worse when I was tired. And don't worry too much about what you're eating for now, just eat whatever doesn't make you gip until you can eat normally again. Feel for you, MS is horrible and a cruel joke that it's called 'morning' sickness as it does tend to happen all day and night, the joys! It won't last forever though, give it a couple of weeks and you'll suddenly feel noticeabley better. flowers

MrsDoylesladder Sun 19-Mar-17 16:48:21

Please speak to a health professional if it gets too hard.

inkybunny Sun 19-Mar-17 17:02:16

I'm 6+6 today, so I may have worse to come and my advice may be useless!

The sea bands are helping me but they are so tight - I know they have to be to work, but I can only wear them for about half the day!

Malted milk biscuits are pretty good too. It sounds counter-intuitive, but I'm trying to eat every few hours whether I feel sick or not (heh, if only - I always feel sick!), because getting hungry makes it worse.

Lunalovepud Sun 19-Mar-17 17:03:22

Yes, like mrsdoyle says - please see your doctor if it gets too much - you don't have to feel rubbish.

hangingkebab Sun 19-Mar-17 17:08:42

If you are feeling hot and sick, try mint tea - if you feel cold and sick, ginger.
As someone said upthread, eating as soon as you feel hungry can help.
You could also try charcoal biscuits - they look throughly unappetising but I did find they helped me through. You can get them in places like Holland and Barrett.

BikeRunSki Sun 19-Mar-17 17:11:23

Pregnancy Sickness Support helpful website here

HN42 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:26:17

I mainly went for eating frequently (every 1-2 hrs) - mainly stuck with very plain carbs, ginger biscuits and fruit and occasionally extra strong mints. It does get better eventually, but I always found eating made the sickness better until I started to feel hungry again so hopefully the same will work for you.

ethelfleda Sun 19-Mar-17 17:26:37

I've found drinking a glass of milk before bed makes me feel better the next morning. Also, my first drink of the day is ginger tea which helps a LOT and then I try and eat no later than an hour after that

ThisIsActuallyHappening Sun 19-Mar-17 17:28:12

I can entirely empathise, as I've had the same all the way through sad

At 17weeks, I feel like I've suddenly had a breakthrough. The key for me has been ,a,I got sure I am properly hydrated and, digestive biscuits! blush Every time I feel naseous, whether I also feel hungry or not, I slowly nibble a digestive or two and within 20 mins or so max, I feel ok again. Having spoken with friends, many said unless the seemingly snacked constantly, they felt ill. Might be worth a try?

I am now constantly carrying around a small packet with me grin (I don't gene particularly like the darned things, but it seems to help and I'm at a will try anything stage!)

ThisIsActuallyHappening Sun 19-Mar-17 17:30:30

Errrm ... ",a,l got" (?) was meant to be "make" (wtf?) Sorry, didn't proof before hitting enter, oops.

ScarlettFreestone Sun 19-Mar-17 17:31:04

I was sick up to 10 times a day all the way through my pregnancy. I found that it was better if I ate, crackers were great because they were dry.

Some people find ginger biscuits useful too.

Morning sickness isn't like normal sickness, eating makes you feel better but it feels counter intuitive to start with.

I used to go and throw up and then carry on with lunch.

Hope you feel better soon.

MrsB12345 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:03:02

Thanks for all your advice. I'll have a look at all the recommendations. I was convinced I would get this as neither my mum or sis had it and I believe(d) it's heridatory. The only way to describe it is like when you're hungover or travel sickness but thankfully with out the vom x

actino Sun 19-Mar-17 18:46:38

I am ~6.5 weeks pregnant and on day two of actual MS. Thanks for starting this thread, I'm now going to stock up on snacks that I can keep in my pocket.

I have been eating ready made meals that I can put in the oven and walk away from because if I smell food for to long I lose my appetite.

ScarlettFreestone Mon 20-Mar-17 00:42:30

act I found that a bit of toast just before starting to cook helped settle my stomach enough to cook.

ThisIsActuallyHappening Mon 20-Mar-17 03:17:22

it is like when you're hungover or travel sickness but thankfully with out the vom

...yep, that's exactly how I describe "morning" sickness too! Although the hungover bit can be because you're slightly dehydrated. I'm finding I have to drink a lot more water now pregnant to stay hydrated.

I absolutely agree with Scarlett too - pregnancy/morning sickness isn't the same as normal sickness and is actually helped by eating, despite the food aversions.

mummabubs Mon 20-Mar-17 06:51:28

@MrsB12345 Snap! My mum didn't have sickness for any of her 3 pregnancies so I assumed I'd be safe... it's all lies!! 😂 I'm 11+6 today and have spent the whole of the last 4 weeks either throwing up or feeling like I'm about to throw up. As others say- snack and sip constantly and rest when you're tired, it's the only way I've kept my sanity so far. It's really horrible but I'm telling myself that come the second trimester it should start to ease off... fingers crossed for us! X

PoisonLupin Mon 20-Mar-17 07:10:04

I feel for you OP, is awful I had this with both my babies. Agree with the travel bands and snacking but if it gets too much do consider seeing your GP. I took medication with my second pregnancy as was finding it impossible to look after my DD and it was a godsend. I was afraid to take it as because of the negative things attached to such drugs but had no ill effects. 16 weeks was turning point for me.

PoisonLupin Mon 20-Mar-17 07:16:39

Oh and have something to eat before you even lift your head off the pillow in the morning - keep a tuppaware of plain biscuits or ginger nuts, or get your OH to make you a piece of toast. Once the sickness starts it's harder to get under control I felt.

naha121 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:14:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Foldedtshirt Tue 21-Mar-17 21:18:21

Spam off Naha

kikibo Wed 22-Mar-17 15:06:10

The eating before I got up didn't really help much. Kept feeling as sick as before, even throwing up the stuff I had to eat at some point. Drinking water was no use either, really, as it would just come out as well.
I used to wait until I threw up on an empty stomach which made me feel better, then race downstairs to eat a piece of fruit (first it was oranges, then bananas) to then make a smoothie. That's out now in favour of muesli with fruit and yoghurt. Which is just as well, because lunch doesn't come so early. smile

Tried the sea bands, didn't help. Maybe because I don't believe in them (none of those remedies work for me with my travel sickness). I wore them for a while because I thought they might help and for want of anything better.

My morning sickness started to get better at 11 weeks, though I still get bouts of vomiting first thing in the morning if I don't eat enough/too early the evening before and in the evenings before dinner if lunch is too long ago. I'm 18 weeks now.

The only thing I could do to forget how awful I felt really was sleep and watch daytime TV. I'm so thankful for the BBC for entertaining me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now