Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Little bit in shock still..!

(14 Posts)
bambi2908 Sat 18-Mar-17 07:07:18

Hi all!
Had my 12 week scan on Thursday with DH, and got a little more than we bargained for...we're expecting twins! shock

Dates were pretty spot on (only two days ahead) and babies wiggling around quite happily. Neither of us have twins in the family so tbh, it was a massive surprise for both of us!

Does any one have any good advice/tips/recommend any good products?

Still can't quite believe it <3

littlebillie Sat 18-Mar-17 07:21:59

I was very sick very early and I was in agony. Doctors prepared me for an eptopic pregnancy but at an early scan it was twins. There were none in my family either.

Don't panic it will be fine, start researching prams etc. Also you be asked about birth options and that is very hard to choose.

I wouid also start looking at your diet and vitamin intake. The NHS say eat as normal however the US say you should eat more to bring on both babies. I ate more cheese fish and meat to get them to a good birth weight as they often are early and the bigger they are the better.

Finally get your camera ready and learn how to use it as their smallness will need to be recorded smilesmile I would love to go back there

Petpank Sat 18-Mar-17 07:23:25

Congratulations Bambii!smilehow very exciting! Have you told your families yet?!

Petpank Sat 18-Mar-17 07:26:13

Oh and yes of course make sure you're eating well and taking your pregnancy supplement! grin

Was just feeling excited for you. smile

littlebillie Sat 18-Mar-17 07:30:10

Also we were told by an older twin father that his babies were in separate Moses baskets from 0 and screamed for months sleeping terribly. They were away one night and they ended up sleeping next to each other and they slept through.

We had ours side on in a cot bed from 0 and were brilliant sleepers. They had separate rooms now but one still misses their sibling,

bambi2908 Sat 18-Mar-17 07:31:30

Thanks ladies!
Littlebillie - yes I've also been very poorly, very tired and nauseous since about week 4. Diet-wise so far I haven't been very healthy so far, literally just been eating what I can keep down. I'm hoping now that's starting to ease off that I can stay on top of it a little more. I'm taking pregnacare vitamins but I'm veggie too, but it has been mentioned in my notes so will be kept an eye on.

We're very excited, just very unexpected smile

Petpank - yes our families know now, everyone was very surprised, but apparently we don't do things by halves ;)

I'm so excited to find out the sexes, feel like I literally can't wait!

MumofthreeandBean Sat 18-Mar-17 07:36:04

Congrats!!
I am 30 weeks and expecting twins, I found out at my dating scan, very shocked 😳
It does sink in eventually.

I plan to sleep mine in the same cot for a while, reading up it seems to settle them.

Buggys are hard! I have gone for a mountain buggy duo as I wanted a side by side. Two parent facing carrycots which appealed to me.

How are you feeling? I felt awful!

shirleycartersaidso Sat 18-Mar-17 08:03:15

Congratulations! I don't think I'll ever forget the shock when I found out it was twins at weeks! They're 6 now and awesome.

Have they told you what sort of twins?

MollyHuaCha Sat 18-Mar-17 08:04:31

smileSo exciting. Look after yourself as multiple pregnancies need more care. Of course all pregnancies need more care, but multiples need even more more care if you know what I mean.

EllaNB Sat 18-Mar-17 09:11:31

Congratulations Bambi!!!

I am 16 weeks pregnant with identical twins and like you found out at my 12 week scan, so it was a massive surprise. Neither my partner or I have twins in our families either so we were definitely not expecting twins!

It probably took a week for it to set in and for me to get over the initial shock, however now I am so excited and wouldn't have it any other way!

I am planning on having the twins co sleeping in a cot from the beginning and looking at getting an Icandy pram as I prefer the idea of a tandem pram rather than side by side.

Since my 16 week scan earlier this week I will be scanned every 2 weeks and closely monitored! Hoping to find out the sex at the next scan!

Good luck! And if you find any tips let me know smile

bambi2908 Sat 18-Mar-17 14:21:23

Thanks all!

Lovely to know that I'm not the only one! Know one we know has had twins either so it's great to get feedback from people who are going through the same thing, or have been there and done it!

Ours are non-identical so hopefully that will help! wink

My step-mum, and step-mum-in-law are both totally baby crazy so will be relying on them to do a lot of the research for me grin

I've been told I'll need scans every 4 weeks with these two

AnyFarrahFowler Sat 18-Mar-17 16:08:37

Congratulations! flowers
How exciting! I have nothing to add except that I have my 12 week scan at the end of April and I'm half wondering if it's twins because of how I've been feeling. I dismissed it as there are no twins on my side of the family, and just 1 set on DH's side, but this has made me think you never know!

ganda1 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:00:07

I've recently found out I'm having twins too! Like you i found out at my 12 week scan, convinced it was one until the sonographer said "oh there's 2 of them!" So shocked was an understatement!! Ours are non identical, it's finally sinking in and the realisation that we need to get a new car (our son will be 27 months when they arrive) and we're probably gonna get the mountain buggy duet, from talking to mums who've already got twins, I've ruled out a tandem as apparantly the baby in the bottom just screams all the time!

Crazy times ahead, and congrats to all of you!! X

mellysam Sat 18-Mar-17 21:17:04

Congratulations! Our twins were a 12 week scan shock too. I remember giggling randomly to myself all afternoon.
They are 6 months old now smile
Go have a read of some of the multiple threads, lots of useful stuff - don't know how to link but click -
Talk > Being a Parent > Multiple Births

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now