Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational Diabetes first high reading

(11 Posts)
sunflowerpower17 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:17:54

I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I've had a shocking week at work and didn't make a healthy dinner choice and my blood test reading came back as 8.8 1hour after eating.
It's the first high reading I've had and now I feel so guilty. I just can't stop feeling sick from knowing I did this.
I just can't find enough information to see if this one high reading will have a lasting effect on baby.
Any advice?

arbrighton Fri 17-Mar-17 21:22:11

One reading won't matter in the grand scheme of things but take it as the signal you need to make the better choices going forward, including how much you do at work.

sunflowerpower17 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:52:43

Thanks, I am telling them on Monday that they need to start letting me slow down, they keep telling me to think of baby first and then contradict themselves with ensuring I'm overloaded with work.
I've had it now.
Not long until my leave starts

SuperUnicorn Sat 18-Mar-17 16:09:19

I was told not to worry about a one off high reading, but if I had any to make sure I tested and to try not to miss a test afterwards for a few days.

I've only had one high reading in months of testing and interestingly I hadn't washed my hands, so I washed them and retested and got a normal result, so it must have been something on my hands giving the high result. Bit late now as this was last night for you, but I would certainly try washing hands and testing again if you get another high reading.

Piffpaffpoff Sat 18-Mar-17 16:17:33

I had a couple of high one off readings, I think. One was down to having had a Magnum on a hot day out - I told the consultant that and she laughed and said a few treats were ok. I think it's if it is going up and/or staying up with no visible reason, that's when it's a problem.

I'd agree with the hand washing btw. Wash them without soap before you do a reading. I discovered that after a few wonky readings.

haveacupoftea Sat 18-Mar-17 16:19:07

Thats not really very high. Most of my readings are outside the target range, we are currently adjusting my dose of metformin to see if we can bring it down. No glucose in urine, placenta was still grade 0 at 28 weeks and baby is on 50th centile so the effects seem to be minimal so far. As you continue through pregnancy you will likely find it more and more difficult to keep the numbers down, thats GD for you.

Also one slip up will not matter in the grand scheme of things. It is extremely hard to stick to such a strict diet when you're ravenously hungry as in pregnancy.

sunflowerpower17 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:45:08

Thanks everyone. This morning I also realised I had tonsillitis so I wonder if that had any impact too. This mornings readings were ok so will just keep an eye on it. Got another 8 weeks to go...

conkerchops Sat 18-Mar-17 19:41:37

One high reading will not matter in the grand scheme of things. Just make a healthier choice next time - I work with children with type 1 diabetes so talk blood glucose numbers all day every day and can tell you tonsillitis and any infection will make your blood sugar high ! Take care and get lots of rest and definitely make sure they let you ease up at work :-)

sunflowerpower17 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:07:51

Thanks conkerchops! I'm quite looking forward to Monday just to tell them they have a choice - ease up on me or I'll find myself off work all together.
Everyone here has been so helpful. I really mean it when I say thanks for the reassurance.

Applebite Sat 18-Mar-17 21:11:15

don't beat yourself up - the stress won't help. you may just need to cut the carbs a bit as you work out what works for you. e.g. i could tolerate a few chips but absolutely no rice, sod whole grain or basmati even!

also a 15-20 min walk after eating works wonders. i used to walk round and round my office!

conkerchops Sun 19-Mar-17 10:13:50

Yes exercise is great for reducing blood sugar :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now