Talk

Advanced search

Seriously? 40 weeks and eff all?

(25 Posts)
Backt0Black Fri 17-Mar-17 14:10:09

.... I know the whole how can I bring on labour thing has been done to death.... I know because I've back-read all the threads and done it all!

My question is - has anyone had a complete surprise / stealth labour at full term? Like you see it in naff films I suppose. You know, waters break everywhere, everyone looks shocked, woman screams blue murder and baby flies out?? grin

40 weeks today and NOTHING. Not so much as a twinge, a nip, no 'show' no cramps, no back pain, no 'nesting' .... my only symptom is a big belly and a general lack patience with everyone / thing.

Or.... has anyone had a sneaky little know symptom rarely mentioned as a sign things may effing well start soon??

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 17-Mar-17 14:13:23

Ds now 15- I was asleep in bed on due date at 10.30pm..
1230am I was in hospital holding ds!!
No symptoms at all until huge waves of pain at 10.30 and an ambulance journey asap!! Still fully clothes + shoes!!
So be prepared for the unexpected!

Funnyonion17 Fri 17-Mar-17 14:15:15

It can happen any time and out of nowhere. You really need a favourable cervix before your ready though. Long walk, followed by sex and birthing ball after. I had a fast labour due to walking throughout and birthing ball.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Fri 17-Mar-17 14:19:01

I was on the phone to my sister one evening belly aching about being overdue and that it felt like it was never going to happen - was 40+6 - as I put the phone down, I simultaneously had a contraction grin and then had a show a couple of hours later. I'd had a sweep the day before, not sure if that got things going or not.

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Mar-17 14:20:02

My first was 40+6. You have my sympathies. 6 days felt like 6 weeks. But the good part? He was ready to be born! Quick and straightforward birth. Wishing you the same.

Ecureuil Fri 17-Mar-17 14:22:25

Baby number 1 was born at 40+6 and in hindsight the only 'sign' was that I was really bloody grumpy that day when I woke up.
Baby number 2 came at 40+2 but had been having 'twinges' for about a week beforehand.

Sienna9522 Fri 17-Mar-17 14:25:32

You definitely have my sympathy. I can't help though. I went in to hospital to be induced at 40+12, didn't have her until 40+17. My cervix was never favourable and I'm still surprised it didn't end in a C-section. I hope you're lucky and get some signs of labour soon.

Backt0Black Fri 17-Mar-17 14:39:51

Thank you all for replies. Seems there's a lot of us in the dreaded 40+waiting alumni. It has been nice to read some of the speedy labour tales, but also reassuring to have confirmed it could still be a long wait yet but all still went well.

Gahhhh I blame all this '9 month pregnancy' fibbery... its plainly 10 plus!!

Things I've tried...

Pineapple
Raspberry leave tea
Sex (DH has been v brave here, I'm not in an accommodating mood! grin )
Evening primrose oil
Birthing ball bouncing
Limping out for a walk
Mucking my horses out (huff puff!)
Curry
Floor scrubbing
liquorice
Wallpaper stripping (I dunno what possessed me either)
Reading a few 'spats' on the AIBU boards to get the blood pumping (lighthearted here!)
Swearing
Tutting
Muttering to self

EyeStye Fri 17-Mar-17 14:45:44

I have had three children and had virtually no a sign until actual labour. No Braxton hicks.
Baby 1 just started feeling a bit period pain at 40+7 late on afternoon no twinges before then! Went into labour by the morning with regular contractions although it still took three days!
Baby 2 absolutely no signs whatsoever until 17 days after my due date when I had a show and went into labour in the night.
Baby 3 was early but once I felt a twinge I went into labour pretty swiftly!
Your body can change very quickly. No dramatic water breaking or screams, but I went from no signs whatsoever to period type pains to contractions in the space of a few hours each time.

slipery Fri 17-Mar-17 14:59:18

a couple of hours before my contractions started i felt unbelievably tired and sick. never heard that before but might be a sign!

Sienna9522 Fri 17-Mar-17 16:09:31

I've heard physical exhaustion the day before can be a sign. It's like your body wants you to sleep in preparation for the big event.

duxb Fri 17-Mar-17 16:09:34

I hate to tell you but my DD came at 40+12.

Did the walking daily, birthing ball, four sweeps. Ended up being induced and even then she wasn't for coming out.

Hoping things get moving naturally for you soon. Any overdue days are torture!

booox Fri 17-Mar-17 17:18:28

The midwife peered over her glasses with induction pessary in her hand and said "I think you're labouring my love". And I was! She broke the waters but there was meconium and he was in distress so I had to be induced and then emcs anyway but it could have happened!

I had a desire to clean the bannister the night before and a very sleepless night where I felt very heavy down below. I didn't realise I was in labour- it didn't really hurt! Just lots of pressure.

InsaneMummyOfThree Fri 17-Mar-17 22:43:56

I had acupuncture and it worked!!! Never laboured naturally before but was desperate as the consultant wanted to slice n dice with a c section. I went for a session of acupuncture and could feel my womb contracting when she placed the needles in. I didn't hurt at all, Id recommended it. X

largepinotplease Fri 17-Mar-17 23:46:13

40+2 at 6am woke up with period pains then waters went, 7 hours later he was born in the birthing pool! Very straightforward labour, had a bit of back pain the day before but no real signs labour was imminent and as soon as it started contractions were 2(ish) minutes apart so straight into it and then boom baby born job done! First time not a bad experience at all - good luck!

Blackberrybakewell Sat 18-Mar-17 18:43:46

Just wanted to chip in some sympathy - I'm 40 weeks today and apart from the very occasional cramp I've had no signs of labour.

Tiddler is only 2/5th engaged but is enjoying head butting my cervix which is fun (fanny daggers). No show, no obvious Braxton Hicks. Bit of back ache but I've had that for weeks so nothing new.

And oh god, the messages have now started. We didn't tell many our actual due date, deliberately kept it vague, but now wish we hadn't told anyone at all! 'Any news?' What do you bloody think, we've been home with a baby all day and didn't bother telling anyone? Or that I'm in the labour wars and will text you in a minute when this contraction has finished? Sod off, we'll tell you when we tell you! Grump grump grump.

Fingers crossed things start happening for you soon x

Crocky Sat 18-Mar-17 19:19:14

Unfortunately you need to prepare to be patient. My dd was born at 40+12.

Biscuitsneeded Sat 18-Mar-17 19:26:05

DS 1 was born at 40+10 after 2 sweeps. DS 2 was born at 39+4. In both cases I had no signs (other than midwife commenting that the head was low) until I woke up in the early hours suddenly in a LOT of pain. Both babies born quickly thereafter. So yes, it could happen...

SocksRock Sat 18-Mar-17 19:27:48

My second child was born in 1hr45min from being fast asleep when my waters broke. Number three was an induction, but she only managed 45minutes from first contraction to delivery...

justdontevenfuckingstart Sat 18-Mar-17 19:29:49

40+2 saw my family, my mum said we're going out for my birthday is anything happening. Nah nothin you're fine. 6 hours later tipsy mother birthing partner. She said it was the best birthday ever. Good luck op.

ThatUsernameIsTaken Sat 18-Mar-17 19:36:44

My first was born at 40weeks. DH had an alarm through my pregnancy that went off at 9am each week notifying him which week it was. PFB and all that! 40weeks the alarm went off at 9am and he turned it off as usual. A few seconds later i felt a pop and my waters just exploded! No pains but went straight to hospital as advised and she was born by emcs 10hours later! smile

Singingforsanity Sat 18-Mar-17 20:36:29

I was 40 plus 4 when my waters broke, went into labour the next day. Before that I'd had no signs at all. The evening before I'd had a really long walk but at full term it was pretty likely I'd be going into labour anyway 😁

NotTheBelleoftheBall Sat 18-Mar-17 20:45:13

I remember being 40 weeks - and I don't want to bore you with my labour story (not quick), but I do know that VERY soon your baby will be here - it may feel like a millions miles away, but you're SO NEARLY THERE!!

SprogletsMum Sat 18-Mar-17 20:52:27

With my third I'd sort of picked the date I'd wanted her to be born. I was making tea for the dc at 5pm that day whilst being so disappointed that she wasn't going to be born that day.
At 6pm bang my waters went and she was born at 9.20pm. I'd had no twinges or show or anything.

SumAndSubstance Sun 19-Mar-17 13:40:28

My DS was born at 40+15. That was a very long fortnight! I tried pretty much everything, had two sweeps etc. Perhaps it was the fear when hospital insisted they would induce him the next day that made my waters break...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now