Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD 34 weeks

(23 Posts)
endoftether12 Fri 17-Mar-17 13:36:16

Hiya, as stated in the title I am 34 weeks pregnant and in the past 3 weeks I have started with SPD. I first noticed when I was at work (in my job in a kitchen so very physical, very little breaks etc) that I felt like I was being stabbed/kicked between the legs every few minutes. I was actually really worried and went to be checked out but all was okay thankfully. Since then it has got progressively worse. I am now signed off work (start maternity leave in a week anyway) and struggle to get comfortable, agony to turn over in bed, I shuffle rather than walk. It is still in my groin, like a pain as though it is really bruised and like there is no support there so when I stand up, it feels like it/I could just collapse. Anyway, wondered if there are any other SPD sufferers who would like to chat. I am feeling pretty lonely with it at the moment. Thanks. Also sorry for no paragraphs. I am on the app and it won't let me add them hmm

MyMrKnightley Fri 17-Mar-17 14:04:56

Please ask for a physio referral it made a lot of difference for me, without it the birth would of been difficult.

Try to stay mobile to.

Long pillow is a god send for support in bed

phoebe2016 Fri 17-Mar-17 17:31:06

Hi Oko, i am in the same position as you but mine started at 16wks and has got progressively worse since then. I am now 26 + 2 and in agony, as you say, sleeping and trying to turn over in bed is horrific, i am awake so many times in the night through pain that ive been near tears. Im up by 4:30-5am every morning as I can't stand it any longer. Dr has me on cocodamol for pain relief and i have physio starting next week. Midwifes have been useless, have been chasing my referral for 10wks and not one of them had actually put it through, i was so mad!! Unfortunately, i think we just have to remember that this is temporary and will get better once the little one is born. We may end up on crutches before then like, but hey ho!! Ask your midwide about physio and a pelvic support too as that should help, I can't use one as i suffer from itchy sweat rashes, so my skin needs to breathe.

phoebe2016 Fri 17-Mar-17 17:32:11

I also have a 9ft pregnancy pillow to go around my body in bed, plus a cushion between my knees!

hexagon01 Fri 17-Mar-17 17:49:31

I feel you, I'm nearly 33 weeks and nighttimes are a nightmare. The things that have eased my symptoms are firstly, finding a good antenatal chiropractor. I was a bit sceptical of chiropractors but whatever she does, it works, my hips and the front of my pelvis have been loads better since I started seeing her. The second thing is how I sleep - I have a ton of pillows at the top of my bed so that when my hips are too sore from sleeping on my sides, I can give them a break by sleeping propped up on my back on the pillows for a while (almost like I'm sat up, but not quite). When I do sleep on my sides I crawl a bit down the bed where my head is only on one pillow, and I have a smallish, firm cushion between my legs (works better than a pillow for me and my pregnancy pillow doesn't work for me any more sad). I still wake up a lot to change positions, and I still get pain, but it's so much more manageable.

The way you describe it sounds exactly like mine. With regards to standing up and feeling like you're going to collapse, the only thing that helps me with that is to just sit for a second or too and make sure spreading my weight evenly when I stand up, and doing it very very slowly.

It really sucks and I'm so so glad it's temporary.

HopeAndJoy16 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:25:18

A pelvic support band and regular sessions with an osteopath got me through working on a busy hospital ward until 35 weeks (now on mat leave yay!). I also used a sanitary pad which I kept in the freezer and put that on my symphysis pubis where it felt inflamed, you could use a gel pad I just couldn't see any in tescos haha. In bed I use a V pillow plus a normal pillow to support my bump/and between my knees. Now I've finished work it has got a million times better! I just have to remember not to walk too far and take smaller strides. Hope it gets better for you flowers xx

CMamaof4 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:55:50

You poor thing I had spd and it was horrific, I got it around 30 weeks. It has put me off of having anymore children as I just couldnt do anything the pain was so bad.
The more I walked the worse it got I could barely walk in the end it got so bad, night times were a nightmare simply rolling over in bed would feel like a rock was pushing down hard on my pelvis. When I walked it felt like my pelvis was snapping. A simple thing like picking my kids up from school would make me unable to stand for the rest of the day, I deteriorated alot towards the end of my pregnancy. Basically laid on my side on the sofa most of the day, Rest as much as you can, No hoovering, use a bump support and make sure u see physio to get lots of advise and ways to help you, No hot baths as this can make it flare up.

After giving birth I was in absolute agony I couldnt walk properly for weeks, It was so hard and I was so lucky that I had such an amazingly good baby and my husband and family to help, I am not sure if the problems after birth were also down to the fact I gave birth laying on my back which I was told I must not do and must be upright as possible, (I had no choice in this as baby got stuck and they had to try and get him out quickly)
Hope time flys for you and baby arrives safely smile

Toobloodytired Fri 17-Mar-17 19:15:09

Mine started at around 30 weeks, I was adamant my pelvis had physically broken. I then thought it was a huge boil as when I close my legs, it presses.

Constant pain when walking, I don't remember what it's like to walk without discomfort.

I can't quite believe the pain will simply disappear as soon as I give birth!

Funnyonion17 Fri 17-Mar-17 19:32:32

I'm on my 3rd pregnancy with it. 1st pregnancy from 20 weeks and about 6 weeks after. 2nd pregnancy from 8 weeks and vanished at birth. This 3rd pregnancy by far is the worst. I've had it since about 10 weeks. No more babies as it's agony!

phoebe2016 Fri 17-Mar-17 19:33:17

Yeah, the more i walk the worse it gets too! I am wishing the next 9wks away, until i start maternity leave. At least then i can rest and hopefully ease things a bit. My friend had it really bad too and she said she felt a lot better within a few weeks of birth, although i know that will differ from person to person.

CMamaof4 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:14:43

Its horrible, Yes it will vary from person to person, Just try and rest as much as you possibly can, and make sure the midwives understand you have it when u go into labour ward. My physio was very adament that I showed the midwives some paper work about giving birth when having spd unfortunately the midwives were useless when it came to understanding spd im not sure if they are trained in it to be honest, I wondered why my physio was so adament about making that point at the time but as I went through my birth I could see why, They wouldnt even lower the bed for me so I could get off easier, It was agony getting off, It literally felt like my pelvis would snap, She told me it didnt lower, I have to say every little detail like just having the bed lowered is sooo important during and after birth and I was left struggling until I rang my sister in tears who told me she thought they all lowered and told me how to lower it, I had been in agony climbing up and down a really high bed for no reason, the pain was out of this world.
I had to be wheeled in a wheelchair out of the hospital. Hopefully yours wont be that bad, everyone gets different variations of it.

Rest as much as you can, Its so important not to over do it x

endoftether12 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:10:31

Just realised I have put this thread on twice oops. Anyway, thanks for the replies. In a way I wish you could see spd from the outside, I am sure my partner thinks I am making it up half the time! He keeps asking why am I sat with such a 'pained expression' on my face?! Because I am in pain! I am glad I only have 6 weeks to go, hope I don't go overdue. I have done nothing today really apart from lay on the sofa which drives me mad as I like to be busy!

endoftether12 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:10:33

Just realised I have put this thread on twice oops. Anyway, thanks for the replies. In a way I wish you could see spd from the outside, I am sure my partner thinks I am making it up half the time! He keeps asking why am I sat with such a 'pained expression' on my face?! Because I am in pain! I am glad I only have 6 weeks to go, hope I don't go overdue. I have done nothing today really apart from lay on the sofa which drives me mad as I like to be busy!

endoftether12 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:11:10

I am seeing the midwife on monday so I am going to ask for a physio appointment/enquire about a support band.

endoftether12 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:11:12

I am seeing the midwife on monday so I am going to ask for a physio appointment/enquire about a support band.

endoftether12 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:12:05

Also my baby is laying transverse really high up. Is this normal at 34 weeks? I thought they were usually head down by now.

CMamaof4 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:50:33

They usually are head down I think if its your first baby, But u still have time, And yes I found people just dont get how much pain you are in too, until I saw a very sympathetic physio who was very caring and understood my pain, Told me I was banned from house work and that it was crucial I rest, I am not a couch potato either so I found it sooooo hard to just sit there, plus I like a really tidy house which was really difficult when u cant stand up properly or bend over, My sympathies are with you, Its so hard when u hurt so bad, I hope you get as much help as you can x

endoftether12 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:37:36

This is actually my 2nd baby but my oldest is 13 so it was a long time ago! I didn't have any of these problems in my first pregnancy.
I did nothing really yesterday and I could feel the difference this morning (not as painful) where as when I have dosed myself up with painkillers and gritted my teeth and got on with housework/painting etc, that night and the next day, the pain is awful. I just find it hard to sit when there are jobs to be done. Luckily I did a lot of decorating earlier in my pregnancy so it's mainly just vaccing, washing etc to keep on top of. I have a dog who makes a lot of mess though hmm

phoebe2016 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:32:01

This is my 3rd baby, and like you theres a large gap between this and the last pregnancy, my other kids are 12 and 14. I also had no problems with spd in the other pregnancies. My trouble is that i have tried to continue doing things as i would usually do, housework, shopping etc, but this condition really doesn't allow for it. Yesterday we took the kids on a little trip out and although I didn't think i had walked too much, last night was horricly painful, up 6x, i feel so bloody shattered. Should be doing housework today (DH does help) but i think i will be resting instead. The physio has booked me in for a PGP class, which i assume is a group based class for all us pregnancy stricken cripples! I hope it helps, but can't say i feel too positive. Until baby is born, theres no magic cure.

endoftether12 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:14:12

phoebe how many weeks pregnant are you? Are your older children excited?

endoftether12 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:14:15

phoebe how many weeks pregnant are you? Are your older children excited?

phoebe2016 Sun 19-Mar-17 22:19:48

I'm 26+4. Yeah they are excited, but it's going to be strange for them having a baby in the house! What about yours?

My LO has been breech the whole time, since we had our anomoly scan. She seems to like this position. All kicks and movements very low down. Feels like she is going to bust through my cervix at times! Lol.

I had a terrible night of pain last night. Have decided to buy a bed wedge now, so i can try and sleep on my back with torso elevated, should be more comfortable than on my side. It just feels like my pelvis is grinding and a lot of pressure in that position. I hate night time atm, bed used to be my sanctuary, not any more!! sad

endoftether12 Thu 23-Mar-17 23:16:27

I actually am relieved when morning comes around and I can get out of bed- the nights last forever with hourly wake ups, waking up with a dead leg, hobbling to the toilet, agony flipping myself over to lay on the other side, then an hour later repeat! Good practise for baby waking in the night though!
My son is excited, I try not to go on about it too much as it may be a bit of an anti climax when the baby is here and he finds out they don't do much more than sleep, drink and need their nappy changing smile oh and cry shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now