Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Insomnia/worried about growth scan

(6 Posts)
sunnyfields25 Fri 17-Mar-17 05:16:19

Yet another night when my brain decides at 3.30am that I've had enough sleep for the night! Argh. After 90 mins of tossing and turning I've given up and admitted defeat.

I've been sleeping badly anyway, but the midwife's discovery that my baby is measuring very small (23cm I think) at my 28-week appointment last week is causing me a lot of worry. Despite the midwife and my mum telling me not to worry (easier said than done). I've got a growth scan booked for Saturday, so am counting down to that, but am terrified it's going to show something is amiss.

Sorry I'm just rambling really. Everything seems so much scarier in the dead of night, and I don't have the heart to wake my husband up (even though a reassuring hug would be very nice right now).

FeelingForSnow Fri 17-Mar-17 08:59:35

So sorry to hear you're going through this. I haven't got much to offer apart from that I am going through the same thing except I'm a bit further gone. I measured spit on on 28 week but on 31 week I was still 28cm sad
Had my first growth scan already and she does indeed measure small. On the 5th centile. No problems were detected which is a bit calming but the second growth scan in 2 weeks will lol be more important than the first as we want her to have grown even if she is still on the 5th centile.
There are loads and loads of people who's bumps are small but babies are perfectly fine. In fact most turn out to be OK. I hope you're one of them.
If not, the good thing is you have been referred to have a scan. They do know what they are doing and I feel very, very looked after.
But what I can advise is to be manic in checking and monitoring baby's movement. In case she is small there might be some increased risks and soon as you feel like there is something wrong go to your MAU. I have twice weekly CTG scans while I am waiting for my second scan.
They will not mind to see you, trust me.
Fingers crossed for you and I understand your struggle to sleep. I'm exactly the same.
Xxx

AreWeThereYet000 Fri 17-Mar-17 12:40:42

My first baby measured normal all the way through and he was small - 5lb 13oz at full term, but perfectly formed no health issues etc and he is now a 'normal sized' 4 year old.... my second baby measured small all the way through and was born at 8lb 11! Try not to worry about anything until the scan - midwife measurements aren't always the best as it depends on whether they are measuring the bump/the actual uterus/baby position etc and scans aren't always accurate either - as I said my second baby measured small and was big and that was with scans every 3 weeks. Xx

AreWeThereYet000 Fri 17-Mar-17 12:42:47

Oh and just to add the consultant said to me this time round the percentile doesn't really matter, some babies are small, some are big, as long as there is growth that's all that matters xx

sunnyfields25 Mon 20-Mar-17 14:00:11

Hi

I didn't get chance to post again before I had my scan, but just wanted to say thanks so much to both of you - it was reassuring to read about other people with experience of the same thing.

I had the scan on Saturday and after the sonographer plotted the results on my growth chart, it showed the baby is actually right where he's meant to be size-wise! Not at all what I was expecting, as the midwife's measurement was so much lower, but obviously I'm massively relieved.

I'm taking your advice though FeelingForSnow and being super vigilant about monitoring movement. Luckily so far he has continued to wriggle around just as much as before. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and hoping your second growth scan brings good news x

AreWeThereYet000 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:15:20

Aww that's brilliant news! Hopefully you can relax a little now and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now