Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

8 weeks scan on Saturday and so scared

(10 Posts)
Dee333 Thu 16-Mar-17 21:57:50

I've booked an early scan for Saturday and I'm so scared they won't find a heartbeat or anything there. I have no reason to think this apart from my usual bad luck. I have the usual symptoms such as nausea, etc but have been in tears tonight with worry. I know I'm not alone with this, how do you ladies cope with the anxiety?

I'm 44 and this is my first (and no doubt my last pregnancy) so I'm obviously high risk.

BeccyButterfly Thu 16-Mar-17 22:42:21

Hi Dee, i paid to have a private scan at 8 weeks just to put my mind at rest. It was a bit of a blobby shape with a heart beat! I think everyone worries about scans, regardless of age, previous pregnancies, fertility history etc. Good luck and try not to worry (easier said then done i know). smile

Lemondrop09 Thu 16-Mar-17 22:43:31

Yep, been there. It's scary. But being worried is normal. My 8 week scan only comforted me for a few days and now I'm panicking about my 12 week scan!

I don't think there's much you can do at this point, except realise that whatever will be, will be. Heaven forbid anything is wrong, but there's nothing that can be done this early if there is. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that worrying about it isn't going to make a difference - except making you unhappy!

You've got absolutely no reason to think there's anything wrong. Further, if everything is fine at this scan, the odds of anything going wrong drop hugely by 8 weeks. There's something like a 96% chance of a successful birth following a heartbeat at 8 weeks. The odds are very much on you side, and in all likelihood, things will be fine.

So deep breathe and it's not toooo long to Saturday (although it can feel like forever!). Let us know how it goes

Sparklyuggs Thu 16-Mar-17 22:48:04

I barely slept the night before my 8w scan, so I know the feeling. Just remember whilst mc rates are highest at the start, more pregnancies continue than fail, and unless you have had bleeding/cramps etc you have no reason to believe there's a problem.

Fingers crossed for you.

Dee333 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:07:07

Thank you for your supportive words and bits of info ladies, I've tried to keep off of google but it's good to hear that the odds drop hugely after 8 weeks so fingers crossed.

Not long now and hopefully my mind will be put at rest for a little while at least x

Dee333 Sat 18-Mar-17 23:06:48

Well I've had the early scan and although I was initially upset at the results after doing a bit of research I feel a bit better now

The Sonographer tried twice but apparently my bladder was too full so she did an internal, she found the foetus and said the heart rate was 87 bpm which I was quite concerned about until she mentioned that she thought I was 6 weeks rather than the 7.5 weeks I thought I was as the measurements were matching around 6 weeks. After discussing with my partner we worked out that she was probably spot on.

I was still concerned and upset about the heartbeat but after reading up on it I have now seen that sometimes there's not even a heart beat at 6 weeks so that's made me feel a lot better.

Also the report says the following:

* Anteverted uterus contains a gestation sac with a single live embryo.

* Fetal heart pulsation and yolk sac identified.

* Fetal heart cardiac rhythm seen.

* Fetal amniotic fluid Normal.

So that's good right?!

Elkalv Sat 18-Mar-17 23:22:15

That's very good! If there would be any concert they would tell you and heart beat is very good sign. Now you need to find yourself a doctor and next scan you need to do is at 12 weeks. But you might get one if you go to the doctor as a check up so maybe you can book one at 10 weeks roughly as 4 weeks is an awful lot of time! Best of luck!

Dee333 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:02:38

Thanks Elkalv, I had my first midwife appointment today too and have my 12 week scan booked for 15 April, which will now be a 10 week scan according to my revised dates, but I won't bother telling them that and still go, then hopefully they'll still do the 12 week one a couple of weeks later! Im being consultant led because of my age so that helps. Just don't know if I can wait another 4 weeks til then!!

Thanks so much for your advice x

Lemondrop09 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:15:23

Great news. Things can be a little tricky to see at 6 weeks, so a heartbeat is brilliant. Pleased for you smile

mummabubs Sun 19-Mar-17 07:02:13

I reckon your 10 week scan will be used as your 12 week, they're unlikely to offer you a second one a couple of weeks later, especially as it's not uncommon for people to have the 12 week scan anywhere between 11-14 weeks. I know it feels a long time to wait and a long time in between scans but it sounds like all is going well for you so far 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now