Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Taking it easy in first trimester

(12 Posts)
DuRezidal Thu 16-Mar-17 16:48:11

Everyone keeps telling me that I need to take the pressure off during the first trimester as I have a very active job. Is there any science behind taking it easy in the first trimester?

I feel fine, a little more tired than normal and sleeping more at night, but other than that feel normal.

beck3001 Thu 16-Mar-17 16:51:38

Please do! Take advantage whilst you can!
Problem is.. you don't really feel too pregnant or much different so you don't realise how hard you're actually still working!

ethelfleda Thu 16-Mar-17 17:06:42

I was originally trying to carry on as normal but honestly I've learned it's better to be kind to myself and try and rest whenever o can. I went for a walk when I got in yesterday with DH - a route I could usually jog in half an hour no problem but I was struggling just walking It yesterday! Then felt even more tired last night and this morning that before! I read somewhere that a pregnant womans body is working harder at rest than a non pregnant body would work when running a marathon! So yeah, take it easy smile

Winniethepooer Thu 16-Mar-17 17:11:47

Simple, if you can, do.

If you feel tired, rest.

If you feel fine, great.

haveacupoftea Thu 16-Mar-17 20:22:54

Not really. Your body will tell you when its time to slow down.

lljkk Thu 16-Mar-17 20:35:11

mmmm... the thing is, if anything goes wrong (m/c) then you might blame yourself for not taking it easy. There may be no science behind that, except that most people find m/c pretty difficult and want an explanation for why it happened to them.

Personally, I was sick as a dog with nausea so didn't have much choice about trying to take things easy.

HN42 Thu 16-Mar-17 20:36:50

If you are feeling good, make the most of it, just don't push yourself too hard or do anything you shouldn't be doing like heavy lifting. I took it very easy in my first trimester but not out of choice, it was agony to walk more than 5 minutes for a few weeks and then the sickness started...

ememem84 Thu 16-Mar-17 20:48:33

ethel seriously? A preg woman's body working while resting is working harder than a non preg running a marathon? Wow. I never knew that.

Makes sense why I'm so exhausted though. I've had the last 2 weeks off work on annual leave and have felt wiped out once it gets to about 4pm so have had a sneaky nap

Will be 12 weeks next week. So hopefully this exhaustion feeling will start to peter off soon.

calimommy Thu 16-Mar-17 21:10:42

Rest if you like or if you feel tired but you don't need extra rest per say. You might feel more tired from the hormones but otherwise your fine, your just pregnant, not sick. And rest doesn't 'build up' in your system so it's not like you can save it for later.

And no, the pregnant woman's body is not running a marathon at rest. The running a marathon simile is solely related to labour. During labour a woman's body does the work of a marathon from her bed (rest).

TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 21:32:48

Lucky you, don't boost too loudly! grin

If you feel fine then no need to slow down, just listen to your body and if you do start to feel fatigued then wind it back a bit.

Take care xx

DuRezidal Thu 16-Mar-17 22:21:38

I am currently riding 7 horses a day at the moment, teaching and also go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week.

The only thing I have noticed is that at 9pm I am done and need to sleep which is unusual as I am not a great sleeper but for the last few weeks I have been sleeping like the dead

kel1493 Thu 16-Mar-17 22:42:08

I didn't. We were planning our wedding (3 month engagement so not long) so I didn't have time to relax and take it easy.
Mind you I stood and done a pile of ironing on my due date, and travelled on London transport after my due date. So

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now