Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone been tested for slapped cheek?

(12 Posts)
vfoster Thu 16-Mar-17 13:13:28

Hi everyone, there has been a case of slapped cheek syndrome at work so I've come home. I've got a blood test booked in an hour but HR are pestering me to know why I've left since the staff member is off. I've explained that the lady would have been infectious for 3 weeks therefore other people might have it but they don't seem to get it.
Just wondering anyone has had to be tested for immunity as I don't want to go back tomorrow if I don't know! Do the results come back quickly?

Lunalovepud Thu 16-Mar-17 16:14:30

How far along are you OP? Nhs guidance is that there can be a risk up to 20 weeks of pregnancy... If you have a blood test booked in I guess they can tell you at the time of the test when the results will be available - hopefully not too long to wait! Hope everything is OK.

cornflakes91 Thu 16-Mar-17 16:22:53

I work in a school and we had an outbreak of it when I was 13 weeks, had a blood test to check for immunity which took 5 days to come back and was found to have no immunity and no past or current infection.... they told me not to worry unless I got a rash or a flu like illness and if I did I'd need to have a second blood test.... 21 weeks now so I seem to have avoided it and anomaly scan looked all well last week.

vfoster Thu 16-Mar-17 16:24:57

Thanks for the replies! I'm 22 weeks so my risk is massively reduced!
They've signed me off just in case someone else has it and hopefully the results are back tomorrow. I feel awful being off when I'm absolutely fine. Oh well, best not to take a risk!

Ecureuil Thu 16-Mar-17 16:25:39

Yeah I was tested (DD1 had it when I was 7 weeks with DD2).
I think results took about a week. I was immune thankfully.

RandomDent Thu 16-Mar-17 16:27:47

I had the test but didn't stay off work. You'd probably already have it if she's only just got the symptoms.

I had two tests, one to check for historic immunity (none) and one to check for a new infection (also none).

Mouse14 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:36:41

A few weeks back I had a nightmare with this!

I'm a teacher and a child in my class was sent home unwell, with red cheeks. Turned out it was slap cheek. I rang midwife and got a blood test the next day. Advised to stay off until results back. More children in class developed it. So stayed off for rest of the week and it was then half term.

Bloods took 3 weeks to come back and as I was 18 weeks at the time midwife and Dr advised strongly against going back without knowing immunity status. I was signed off until 20 weeks, which is the point at which the risk reduces.

It's really not worth putting yourself into a potentially risky situation without knowing. Especially as the incubation period is 10 days prior to rash and not all children develop it.the virus can present itself as flu like symptoms.

The parovirus can cause miscarriage, stillbirth, heart defects... I know of one last who now has to have weekly scans and blood transfusions to the baby. So stay away until you know or are 20 weeks!

Crumbelina Sun 19-Mar-17 10:23:38

Yes, I was a couple of weeks ago. DD picked up a virus from nursery with a nasty rash and the GP suspected that it could be slapped cheek (and I was 10 weeks pregnant at the time). Had a blood test at the hospital and all was fine as I'm immune.

On the positive side, most people are immune to slapped cheek and I've read that it's pretty hard to contract.

vfoster Sun 19-Mar-17 10:36:40

Thanks for your replies! It's really stressing me out at the moment but as I'm 23 weeks today which makes me feel better!
I've not been allowed to stay off work despite a doctors note (long story) but I'm hoping that I get my results back on Monday saying I'm immune. I know it's a small chance but it's still sent my mind into over drive!

Gaaaah Sun 19-Mar-17 10:40:03

I was tested at 25 weeks when they found that I had polyhydramnios because apparently it can be linked. They got the results back within a couple of days. I was immune thankfully.

Wayfarersonbaby Sun 19-Mar-17 10:45:11

Similar happened to me when a friend visited with her toddler who it later transpired had slapped cheek. My GP and midwife took it v seriously, they tested my booking-in bloods for existing immunity (which I had) and got results back within 24 hours. Apparently most women are already immune so it's likely that you will be too; if not they will be on the case checking for a new infection and monitoring the baby. It's taken seriously nowadays and really your workplace should have been more accommodating, I think.

SumAndSubstance Sun 19-Mar-17 13:31:07

Yes, I had to go home from work (school) and have an emergency blood test when I was about 9 weeks. They told me that most people are immune as it's quite common to have it, but have next to no symptoms. Fortunately, my results came back quite quickly and I was indeed immune already, thank goodness. Hopefully you will find the same, but as you say, you are 23 weeks anyway so try not to worry (easier said than done, I know!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now