Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Down syndrome results?

(7 Posts)
Ourbabby Thu 16-Mar-17 10:15:03

Hi all. So I just had my results back via letter a couple weeks later than I had my 12 week scan. The result for down syndrome has come back at 1:390. It states that this is 'lower risk'.

All my friends and family who've had children have always been in the thousands. Some as far as 1:24000.

I know that 1:390 equates to aprox 0.28% chance but I'm still worried as I wasn't expecting to see such a low number.

Does anyone have any words of wisdome that might ease my mind?

Either way if the baby had downs it would not change anything as far as the progress on of my pregnancy. I would just like to plan for it.

mummabubs Thu 16-Mar-17 10:18:13

I haven't had the test yet but I've heard plenty of experiences on here of people having 1:24 or 1:12, so frankly if I get 1 in 3000 odd I'll be over the moon! As you say, 0.28% is incredibly low, I'd try and take comfort in that. No one will ever get a completely 0% chance back, but yours is pretty close! X

SleepFreeZone Thu 16-Mar-17 10:18:41

Those are excellent results. my advice would be not to worry about it. Concentrate on your 20 week scan and assuming everything is as it should be put it out of your mind. If you are prone to anxiety and think it could cast a shadow over your pregnancy you could pay to have a Harmony test done and those results are pretty bombproof.

Ourbabby Thu 16-Mar-17 10:42:40

Thanks both. I'm sure that if I had no prior knowledge on friends and families results I would look at my letter without a worry in the world as statistically it is still really low.

You have actually put my mind at rest smile xx

sweetchilli77 Thu 16-Mar-17 10:51:45

I was 1in 5...after having an NIPT i was 1-10.000 which is the lowest

zambean Thu 16-Mar-17 11:15:19

If you've got £500 to spare, you could have NIPT and put your mind completely at rest.

knust Thu 16-Mar-17 12:35:32

My hospital doesn't give you the numbers, my letter just said 'low risk' and I'm glad it wasn't more specific as I'm sure I'd be worried whatever the number was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now