Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Concerned previous preeclampsia

(8 Posts)
Fairy45 Thu 16-Mar-17 07:08:32

Hi
With my first i developed preeclampsia around 35 weeks pregnant and was in hospital a lot until i was induced.
Im now approx 11 weeks with my second and i have awful pains in my right shoulder and under my right rib cage. This has been for the last 2 days. Ive barely slept nothing is easing it. I saw midwife on tues and she asked if i was alright because i looked so dreadful and i said i had a banging headache which has also never gone since then.
I know these are symptoms of preeclampsia but can it develop this early? Im being put on asprin from 12 weeks and being consultant led because i am high risk to develop it again. Do you think these are just normal early twinges or worth a phone call? I dont want to be phoning up for every twinge!
TIA

dancestomyowntune Thu 16-Mar-17 08:12:46

If your worried, confide your worries to your midwife. I'm pretty sure that preeclampsia comes on after 20weeks. I'm currently in hospital having just been diagnosed at 24 weeks and they midwives are all saying it's unusually early for preeclampsia, but it's currently under control so I'm trying not to panic.

Lunalovepud Thu 16-Mar-17 09:14:00

Solidarity with you OP! I had preeclampsia in my previous pregnancy and I am currently 18 weeks with DC2 - every time I get a headache I am anxious about getting PE again!

Please speak to your midwife - they will be able to test your urine and BP and relieve your worries. They can also advise you where you can go for some additional support to help you with any anxiety etc - 30 weeks is a long time to go with daily worries about PE.

I had some fab reassurance and advice on here a few weeks ago about PE - I'll try to link it in another post when I'm not using my phone...

Good luck with everything OP - you're not alone in your worries! flowers

Lunalovepud Thu 16-Mar-17 09:21:40

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2859610-Any-second-timers-on-here-who-had-Pre-Eclampsia-first-time-around

Hope this works!

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 16-Mar-17 10:20:49

I had hideous headaches when I was pregnant (they eased off at about 20 weeks). Midwife repeatedly reassured me it couldn't be PE prior to 20 weeks. Having said that I would definitely mention it to your midwife so they can keep an eye on it for you.

I did subsequently develop high blood pressure very late in the pregnancy but it was managed with medication and baby born safe and well at 39+5!

Fairy45 Thu 16-Mar-17 10:37:33

Thanks guys. Im at work at the mo so will maybe ring my midwife later on. Its currently manageable pain and headache has eased slightly.
Luna ... thank you for that thread hows your pregnancy going now? Youve definitely settled my mind.

Whatsername17 Thu 16-Mar-17 11:29:49

You need to go to the doctors. I had pre-eclampsia with my first and with my 2nd I was put on a daily dose of aspirin at 17 weeks (75mg) and it kept my bp stable until the very end - 38 weeks or so. With my first, my bp was high by 21 weeks but my community midwife missed it. I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 40 weeks and lucky to make it that far. With my 2nd, I had hypertension not pre-eclampsia and only from 38 weeks. The aspirin was amazing and they induced me before the hypertension became an issue. Get an appointment now so you can be proactive.

Lunalovepud Thu 16-Mar-17 11:34:10

Everything progressing well at the moment thank you Fairy45 , I have fund having a crazy toddler is a good distraction from worrying too much! I started taking aspirin at the same time as this thread so feel less anxious in a way as at least I am doing something to prevent PE this time rather than just waiting to see if I get it.

I am sure your midwife will be pleased to reassure you - it's better to get checked out a million times and to find there is nothing to worry about than to not check and worry about it all.

Good luck with everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now