Talk

Advanced search

Smoking

(15 Posts)
user1489171349 Thu 16-Mar-17 00:23:02

I've tried to quite so many times and I fail..

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and since I've found out I've tried everything and nothing seems to help. I'm not heavy smoker maybe 5-7 a day if that some days but still struggle to stop.

I feel so bad but life has been super tough and stressful and it's the only perk I have! 😞

bellabelly Thu 16-Mar-17 00:40:53

Have you tried vaping instead? Patches? It's so, so hard, isn't it? But every fag you don't smoke is better for your baby (and for you!). Could you try limiting yourself to 4 per day, then 3, then 2, then 1? Then 0?

TwentyCups Thu 16-Mar-17 00:46:47

Try a vape it's helped me no end. If you have a local shop go in they can get you all set up smile don't beat yourself up over it - it's bloody hard to quit smoking.

hollinhurst84 Thu 16-Mar-17 00:51:49

100% try vaping, I went from 30 a day to none and that was nearly 10 months ago

AgentCooper Thu 16-Mar-17 08:06:14

user, I'm 9 weeks and vaping low nicotine, eventually planning to cut out altogether. NHS and Tommy's guidelines are fine with this if it stops you smoking. I would try it, honestly. I know how hard it is flowers

MinnieNoush Thu 16-Mar-17 18:00:34

5-7 is a LOT when pregnant, you really have to stop, it is so harmful to your baby!!

I am an ex smoker of 30 a day,s I know it can be done, you just have to put your baby before yourself.

The placenta is what keeps your baby alive. Here is a picture of a healthy placenta and a placenta of a smoker, perhaps this will help give you the motivation.

DaisyQueen Thu 16-Mar-17 18:04:30

Try vaping. I've been doing it for a year or so and I'd tried many times to quit in the past lasting weeks at the most. It's so much cheaper too

DaisyQueen Thu 16-Mar-17 18:07:11

Should have added thay I'm also 24 weeks pregnant

BirdPerson Fri 17-Mar-17 11:19:23

It's so hard. You just have to take each day as it comes. I didn't quit in my first pregnancy, I stopped at 13+5 this time. Am 16 weeks now. I want to smoke nearly every day. Definitely try a vape - I have one in the car which is when I usually crave it the most.

Burntbum Fri 17-Mar-17 11:25:51

Would you stick a cigarette in the mouth of your newborn baby or blow smoke in its face? No? Well just stop smoking FGS.

I speak as an ex smoker who smoked around 20 a day and tried numerous times to stop. The instant I saw those two little lines on the pregnancy test twelve years ago I stopped and haven't had one since. Being stressed isn't an excuse, smoking causes additional stress. There are plenty of resources available to pregnant women trying to stop...use them!

Lunalovepud Fri 17-Mar-17 11:26:27

I am an ex-smoker (although not a fanatical anti-smoking one) and just wanted to comment that you can do it, and it is easier than you think.

You just need to make up your mind that you are not going to smoke anymore (easier said than done, I know) and just go cold turkey. the first 4 days are a bit uncomfortable but after that it gets easier and easier. I gave up 7 years ago now after 16 years of smoking and have never looked back

Every cigarette you don't smoke is helping your baby. Every cigarette you do smoke can be damaging them. Not to mention the dangers to your baby, including SIDS where the risks are significantly increased if baby lives with smokers.

I am sure you know all of this already... It's not easy but it's easier than you think.

SuziePink Fri 17-Mar-17 15:31:08

Vaping is a good idea. One of my friends had hypnotherapy and said it worked pretty much instantly for him, made him sick every time he smoked.

When I gave up (ok, the third and currently last time) I found cutting down was relatively easy but giving up that one cigarette was much harder than I anticipated and I had 'nearly' given up for some time before I was able to finally stop. As someone said each cigarette you don't have benefits you and the baby so start small, reward yourself (maybe something like a massage or nice meal out) for going from 5 to 4 to 3 a day, and do something to cope with your stress.

ImYourMama Fri 17-Mar-17 15:38:05

You honestly can't stop filling your lungs with crap for the sake of an unborn baby?

There are so many nicotine replacements that there is no excuse at all for smoking when pregnant. Join your local hospitals NICU group and see babies with chronic lung disease. That might make you stop.

SuziePink Fri 17-Mar-17 15:54:58

I really don't think guilt tripping the OP is going to help. She obviously feels bad about it already. The fact she's posted on here means she wants to stop so she needs constructive suggestions not shaming.

Toobloodytired Fri 17-Mar-17 20:30:46

Agree with you about shaming however sometimes people need "tough love".

I smoked until the day I saw the positive test, yes I was desperate for a cigarette, my ex was stressing me out, then he left me, I considered ending my life, I was depressed however the one thing I didn't do is put a cigarette in my mouth or alcohol!

It's true, if you care about the life inside you, you simply wouldn't smoke, I wouldn't EVER smoke in the same room as as child so why would I inhale cigarette smoke which will go into my baby's lungs too?

I view it as, my body is for my baby. When he's here THEN I can go back to doing what I like.

A lot of pregnant women smoke yet won't touch homemade mayonnaise hmm the chance of it affecting you is so slim!

Why follow some guidelines but not others?? Smoking is more dangerous than eating Pate, homemade mayo & what not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now