Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Who's in the wrong

(9 Posts)
user1489573685 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:38:51

Just got shouted abuse at on the bus.

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and it feels like everything is going against me at the moment. I had my phone pickpocketed at the weekend and have bills coming out my ears. I don't feel ready for the new baby and people are saying the stress levels are going to affect the poor thing. Here's what happened this morning:

I put my toddler who was sat in the pushchair in the pram area. There was a pregnant woman sitting in the aisle seat next to her along with another women (next to the window) so I just stood by my child in the pram area. Then someone one seat further up the bus offered me a seat. I took it and said thank you. It was further away from my toddler so she started calling out for me "mummy". I thought she might kick off because I wasn't close to her. So when the bus stopped I asked the pregnant woman nearest to my toddler and easiest to reach and ask "if it was possible to swap seats" This causes her to start shouting "I'm pregnant" and she stands up. I said "I meant swap seats not stand up - I'm pregnant too" but she ignores me and keeps ranting. Another girl behind me angrily said "you should have asked the other women who isn't pregnant. You ask for a seat every morning..." I said "I don't ask for a seat every morning" In fact I've never asked for a seat on the bus. I've always waited to be offered. She carried on giving me abuse. I was now sat in the pregnant woman's chair and said to the women next to me "do you mind me offering the seat to the pregnant women to stop all of this" She gets up but the pregnant women refuses to sit down - it turns out she (pregnant women) was getting off at the next stop anyway.

When I said "is it possible to swap seats" surely she could have said no. Or, perhaps "I'm getting off at the next stop anyway" In which case I would have waited.

I would like to know your thoughts.

ILikeSalmon Wed 15-Mar-17 11:03:10

I'd have given her a knuckle sandwich

xStefx Wed 15-Mar-17 11:05:10

No you weren't in the wrong OP, not at all

Chosenbyyou Wed 15-Mar-17 11:07:43

It sounds like a misunderstanding to me. I was in a que the other day and a old lady tried to get past - bloke in the que said to her 'we are all waiting you know' and she was just trying to get to her son further up to give him some money to pay with...just a misunderstanding.

It would have been better for you to sit next to your DD but the other pregnant lady might not be happy moving around seats on a moving bus? You don't know her circumstances and she doesn't know yours.

I would try to shrug it off and move on - you have more important things to think about. If it was me I would buy myself a chocolate bar and try not to think about it anymore

Xx

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 15-Mar-17 11:08:39

So glad I drive. . Last time I was on a bus I had motion sickness for 2 days!!
Thumbs up to all passengers I really don't know how they do it!!
Maybe she was having a hormonal day but no reason to be a cow with it. .
Hope you week gets better op. flowers

user1489573685 Wed 15-Mar-17 14:33:28

Yes, Chosenbyyou, I guess it could have been a misunderstanding. It was just a question though "would you mind if we swap seats?" not a demand and I made sure I asked it when the bus was stationary, not moving.

I just want to move out of London now.

ethelfleda Wed 15-Mar-17 16:13:52

There was no need for her to have a go at you or for the other woman to butt in either!! Rude people x

haveacupoftea Wed 15-Mar-17 23:29:12

Who gives a shit even if you did ask for a seat? Youre 38 weeks pregnant! Horrible people with no manners on that bus route!

Sparklyuggs Thu 16-Mar-17 09:04:06

Other woman sounds like an interfering busybody so just ignore her.

Who knows about the other pregnant lady? Bad news, feeling unwell, other stress, hormones? Maybe will look back and feel bad about it in a few days. But it doesn't sound like you were unreasonable or rude.

I was in the priority seat on the tube, BOB badge on but no prominent bump. An elderly man with a stick who didn't speak English was gesturing to me to get up, and I have a heart condition so can't stand up for long. I just asked the person next to me to offer his seat. I might have come across as a little demanding but ultimately my health is important, and no one wants to be sounding the emergency alarm because I've gone unconscious from standing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now