Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to give birth?

(7 Posts)
chelle85 Wed 15-Mar-17 08:41:25

I was a bit taken aback to be asked where I want to deliver at my referral appt to the midwife at 6wks pregnant. I had no idea of my options so just went along with the suggestion of my local hospital. However I have since been researching and been on thw Which birthing choices site and think I would prefer a birthing centre rather than a labour ward. I am quite keen on avpiding interventions and plan to do hypnobirthing and I'm not sure how this would be supported in the labour ward.

The problem I have is that whilst a lot of birthing centre are within the hospitals there isn't one near to me and if there were complications I would need to be transferred to hospital about 30 mins away which scares me.

I have been considering the home birth option as I would have the undivided attention of the midwife but as it is my first I am a little apprehensive about this aswell

Would love to hear how others made the decision on where to give birth

Scroobius Wed 15-Mar-17 17:15:59

I went to the midwifery unit with my first for the same reasons as you. Same deal with the hospital being 30 minutes away. I was transferred after birth for stitches in surgery so not a major emergency. I didn't honestly mind the transfer as I was still in the wtf just happened zone but my husband was a bit traumatised. Don't know how it would have been had I needed to be emergency transferred before the birth though.

Heirhelp Wed 15-Mar-17 17:19:54

Is there a local choice of a birthing centre attached to a labour ward? All of our local hospitals have this with them often located on a different floor.

Our previous separate birthing unit had closed down otherwise I would have considered it. I had to have an EMCS so was glad it was near by. A colleague of mine needed a crash section and her baby was delivered within 4 mins.

Things in labour can go wrong very quickly.

GeekGoddess Wed 15-Mar-17 17:22:20

I would go for a birth centre within a hospital if at all possible.

GeekGoddess Wed 15-Mar-17 17:24:06

It depends on the labour ward though, my sister recently gave birth and the labour ward were very supportive of hypnobirthing. Her story ended in an emergency section though, so we are all pretty grateful she was in hospital.

BroomstickOfLove Wed 15-Mar-17 17:24:21

If you go by statistics, a stand-alone birth centre like the one you describe has the best outcomes for first-time mothers and babies (if your pregnancy is low risk).

LazyBeetroot Wed 15-Mar-17 20:17:45

I had my first at home (and second). It's not right for everyone but I'd recommend it as an option. Very relaxed, shortish, pain relief free, waterbirths with my own bed and a decent cup of tea afterwards. Also two dedicated midwives for the duration. Both times I lived only 10-15 min away from hospital.
I don't think it's a good idea unless you're sure as you need to feel safe and comfortable wherever you are. The website www.homebirth.org is useful if you're considering it.
You've got plenty of time to think about it and your midwife will be a good source of info about your local hospitals. Good luck whatever you choose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now