Talk

Advanced search

To wash brand new baby clothes?

(20 Posts)
SunnyDayDreaming101 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:15:39

Hi ladies!

About 50/50 split amongst friends and family so thought I would ask here......

Brand new newborn clothes, to wash or not wash before putting them on the baby?

I get they may have been in warehouse/stock room which makes me want to clean them but that being said clothes always lose their nice newness after a wash and does this mean every gift we receive that is clothing also needs washed and ironed before wearing?

Thanks!

ItchyFoot Tue 14-Mar-17 20:17:51

I washed all of my dd's clothes before they wore them. In fact dd1 is 3 next month and I still do blush
I don't iron though

namechange20050 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:18:16

I washed but good lord don't bother ironing them!

Redyellowpinkblue Tue 14-Mar-17 20:19:34

I do, but only because a family member used to work in a clothing factory and used to tell us about the use of formaldehyde and a chemical called azo something that they used to stop creases which I don't want on my skin or my children's as it's all pretty nasty stuff I think?

LittleEpisode Tue 14-Mar-17 20:21:45

I do now after the time I put a brand new, unwashed t-shirt on dd and she ended up covered in a rash in the shape of the tshirt!

PetalMettle Tue 14-Mar-17 20:26:19

I always do, and I now do my stuff as well other than tights as I love tights from the pack

SunnyDayDreaming101 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:59:40

Thanks!

I hate to think anything would harm my shiny brand new little baby, washing it is. Clothes just look so much better pre wash, guess there is a reason for that though!

AudreyBradshaw Tue 14-Mar-17 22:02:25

I did and still do (ds nearly 4 months). Both me and dh have sensitive skin and sure enough ds has followed us. (I've never ironed before but for some reason I LOVE ironing baby vests!) 👕

Helbelle75 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:03:39

I've washed all of the clothes. They smell nicer now! And I love to see the little outfits drying on the radiators.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Tue 14-Mar-17 22:06:58

I was planning on doing this but DD was 6 weeks early so ended up wearing unwashed tiny new clothes that people bought into hospital for her.

8 months later I still don't wash her new clothes before wearing. I don't iron either

DirtyDancing Tue 14-Mar-17 22:15:44

Wash!!!

eliolo Tue 14-Mar-17 22:23:14

When I was pregnant I did a bulk wash of all the little vests and babygros and folded them all up nicely in her drawers grinDD is 3 months and now I decide between washing and sorting new clothes or spending time with her... she wins grin

MollyHuaCha Tue 14-Mar-17 22:35:52

Yes, def wash them. If you are able to line dry them outside in fresh air, they will smell lovely too.

Wait4nothing Tue 14-Mar-17 22:38:15

Yeah I washed everything and still mostly do - not outer wear now (coats and jumpers) I avoid anything that requires ironing!

OrangeJulius Tue 14-Mar-17 22:39:35

I've never prewashed anything.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:39:45

Yes I washed all mine. It's hardly difficult as you can fit about 100 in the washing machine at a time!

mistermagpie Tue 14-Mar-17 22:47:45

I did at first with DS and phased it out after a couple of months. He's 20 months this week and I have never ironed a single item of his clothing (or mine!).

This time I am washing the new baby's new vests and sleepsuits, but I can't see me doing it for very long. I hate laundry!

Brussels1 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:51:15

Defiantly wash! I don't wash new clothes for myself but defiantly for baby there skin is just so much more sensitive x

Gingernaut Tue 14-Mar-17 22:54:37

Another vote for wash.

Mould inhibitors, pesticides, flame retardants and silicone type 'starch' to keep the fabric looking crisp until it's bought are just sprayed all over fabric and clothes in storage.

welshweasel Tue 14-Mar-17 22:56:47

I didn't even know it was the thing to do! DS was 5 weeks early so doubt I'd have ever got round to it anyway. He's made it to 14 months with no ill effect and I've made it to 35!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now