Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Applying for a job while pregnant, can I have your opinions please

(19 Posts)
jinglebellmel Tue 14-Mar-17 19:59:21

I'm due in July and a job has just come up in work which is fixed term April-February. I will only be in work for around 3 months of this time period, so would it be completely stupid to apply? I know my chances of getting it are close to zero, and Thats fair enough, clearly they'll want someone who can work the whole time, but it's not the sort of thing that comes up often and 3 months in the job could improve my chances of future progression. Will I look like an idiot applying for a job when I'm only a available to work for a few months?

confusedat23 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:42:16

I think you know the answer to this OP... however are there any contact details on the advert? Could you call the person and explain you would be interested in the position, if it was after such and such time due to mat leave etc, and could you send your details so they could keep you in mind for if something after those dates?

SaltedCaramelEverything Tue 14-Mar-17 20:46:17

Just putting it out there that I completely sympathise with this kind of situation. I can't believe the jobs I've seen advertised that would be perfect next step career moves for me. Nothing like them has come in the past 2 years! Knowing there's no point applying because my baby will be too young for me to want to end mat leave is really hard. I knew having a baby would change my career options, but didn't think I'd start to feel like I'm missing out now. Yet at the same time I'm over the moon to be pregnant so I just keep telling myself those jobs must not be meant to be. It's really hard!! Good luck flowers

jinglebellmel Wed 15-Mar-17 08:04:25

Thanks both. Confused, it's actually a job in my current department, just a step up from what I currently do.

Salted - I know, i was naive before having children, I never realised just how difficult it would make it to progress! This job coming up now is just typical, it's actually been available for months and only now are they advertising it 😞

SafeToCross Wed 15-Mar-17 08:38:36

Are you on a fixed term contract now? How will it affect maternity rights etc. But yes, no harm in ringing them to say if the start date was later, or they struggle to recruit, you would be interested for x time period.

SafeToCross Wed 15-Mar-17 08:38:55

Are you on a fixed term contract now? How will it affect maternity rights etc. But yes, no harm in ringing them to say if the start date was later, or they struggle to recruit, you would be interested for x time period.

jinglebellmel Wed 15-Mar-17 08:53:55

Hi safe, no I'm on a permanent contract now, but as its in the same department i'd be able to revert back to my old job, if/when it ended (it's likely to get extended far beyond the date they've given in my opinion). It wouldn't effect my mat pay.

I've not received any encouragement to apply, it seems to be assumed I won't because I'm pregnant, I suppose I'm worried I'll be a bit of a laughing stock/time waster if I do if it's such a ridiculous idea!

Bluntness100 Wed 15-Mar-17 09:00:12

It seems a bit daft to apply for a job where you simply can't do it for the time they require and you know would force them to find a replacement for you. In fact I'd go as far as to say it would reflect badly on you for showing such little common sense and interest in your own companies needs.

jinglebellmel Wed 15-Mar-17 09:23:06

Okay thanks bluntness

museumum Wed 15-Mar-17 09:28:07

I wouldn't buy I would absolutely sit down with the positions line manager and say how you would really have liked to if it hadn't clashed with your mat leave and that you want to do something at that level on return (and you are returning) and ask for some ideas of whether you would currently have the skills/experience and if not can you get them (shadowing? Training? Reading?)
Take charge. Don't just wait for the next opportunity to find up in its own time.

babynelly2010 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:35:51

I told my management that if a step up job came up in my department while I am away I would need to know about it and would consider returning after 9 months versus the whole year. I am overqualified for my current job plus noone wants to work in my department because of one specific person also in line management. Not many people can tolerate the woman and we have extremely high turn over.
I would definitely speak to your department management and make sure they are aware about your interest in progression even if you don't end up going for the job.

SaltedCaramelEverything Wed 15-Mar-17 10:50:42

OP ignore unhelpful comments. If it's in your department that's different. I think what some helpful PPs have said about talking to your manager is a good idea - about more permanent opportunities. The assumption you're no longer interested in moving up is wrong. Sounds like we have been in very similar positions!!

jinglebellmel Wed 15-Mar-17 11:08:21

Thank you museum, baby and saltedcaramel - that's really helpful and sensible advice. Sorry to hear you're in a similar position salted.

I know it's just one of those things that the timing is wrong, but it's so frustrating that this job has been available for ages and nothing done about filling it until now. It's the next obvious step for me, and I think would it would be between me and one other person. Guess I need to let this one go and do as you've suggested.

LoobyLou0226 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:23:18

Technically they can't discriminate because of pregnancy (although I know people can indirectly) so if it was on a point scoring system and you were the best candidate I don't think they could not offer you it.

Also if the jobs likely to be extended and you are the best person for it they may be willing to flexible depending on the type of job it is, you never know.

I don't think it hurts to apply at all and sounds like you have nothing to loose smile Good luck xx

jinglebellmel Wed 15-Mar-17 15:22:11

Thank you loobylou smile

Lucinda15 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:10:39

Haven't read all the comments, but where I work, they interviewed for a vacant position and gave the job to an external applicant who was heavily pregnant. She only worked 3 weeks with us before going on mat leave.

go for it. And good luck.

jinglebellmel Wed 15-Mar-17 19:26:13

thank you Lucinda smile

HLBug Wed 15-Mar-17 20:39:36

I did recruitment training at work recently at this exact scenario came up as one of the exercises. As a previous poster has said, they can't discriminate against you and, for office based jobs, the minimum period of 'required' maternity leave is only 2 weeks. Now, I'm guessing that you'll want to take (much!) more than the minimum, and your OP says as much. Your manager should however know this legal position and shouldn't discourage you from applying based solely on your pregnancy. That being said, I agree with the other comments - go and speak to the manager and see what your options are.

jinglebellmel Wed 15-Mar-17 20:45:55

Thank you HLBug, that's helpful, and interesting to hear from someone with experience in this sort of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now