Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20 week scan...spine not fully ossified?

(11 Posts)
BaffledMummy Tue 14-Mar-17 18:31:45

Has anyone had this on their 20 week scan? Were told to come back in 2 weeks to rescan. If it hasn't ossified then, it is likely spina bifida? Am panicking a bit....

BaffledMummy Tue 14-Mar-17 22:09:50

Hopeful bump?

Imaystillbedrunk Tue 14-Mar-17 22:31:38

I honestly have no idea. I just couldn't read and run. I hope someone comes along soon and puts your mind at ease.

BaffledMummy Wed 15-Mar-17 06:05:28

Thanks imaystillbedrunk...I was hoping for lots of "oh yes that happened to me and everything was fine with the second scan" type responses but it seems to be quite rare. It's going to be a long two weeks sad

picklemepopcorn Wed 15-Mar-17 06:14:07

Comment to bump...

confusedat23 Wed 15-Mar-17 07:22:33

Hi Baffled I dont have any experiene but i am high risk of making a baby with a neural tube defect due to my own illness... i read up a lot about this and the most common type of Spina Bifida does not cause any serious issues and there is no damage to the spinal cord. I think the NHS has a good webpage about it.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 15-Mar-17 07:26:22

This sadly happened to a lady I know. Yes her son had spina bifida

But had an op when few months old to fuse bones. He is almost 3 now and running and talking etc - the only thing he needs it to be catheritized every 3hrs as bladder isn't quite draining enough

May have to do this forever

In this lady's case she wasn't actively trying ttc so didn't taken folic acid till found out was preg 7/8w which is too late really as bones start to fuse early on

Hopefully your baby will be fine. Did you take folic acid 3mths + before ttc?

BaffledMummy Wed 15-Mar-17 08:02:06

Thanks all. Yes I did take folic acid for a few months before ttc and up to 12 weeks when I gave up as such horrific nausea and morning sickness and the midwife said it was fine....am regretting that now. Scan looked great for everything else but sonographer couldn't see the last few bones in the spine although could see the base. She got another sonographer for a second opinion and she couldn't see them either. They suggested coming back in 2 weeks as it may be that they just hadn't ossified yet....but I think by 20 weeks they should have? The NHS website was useful thanks confused. I think it's just the not knowing that is torturous.

HellsBellsK Wed 15-Mar-17 09:09:43

Hi Baffled,

I am going to the hospital today for a scan to look at the babys spine to rule out Spina Biffida.

I myself have Spina Biffida - but a mild case.So my consultant is keeping a close eye on myself.
My mom also took folic acid with me and didn't have any morning sickness so don't be blame yourself for it- sometimes these things happen.
Think positive now is all you can do.
I know how worrying it is.. my stomach is in knots at the moment. I have to go in by myself also as DH is away on business.
x

x

BaffledMummy Wed 15-Mar-17 09:39:57

HellsBells best wishes and good luck to you today. I will keep my fingers crossed for you x

BaffledMummy Sat 18-Mar-17 06:47:58

HellsBells how did you get on? Hope all is well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now