Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational diabetes?

(8 Posts)
tulip22 Tue 14-Mar-17 10:21:26

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is in a similar position to me, I am waiting on results of GTT after having had two recent high glucose readings in my urine tests, I am 29 weeks pregnant (had an earlier GTT but was an error at the lab so being repeated). I don't fall into any of the at risk groups for gestational diabetes and whilst I have until recently enjoyed biscuits at work and the odd icecream, I am a very active and healthy person so this is a total shock to me and I'm feeling really scared about how it might affect my baby.

I would love to hear some positive stories or reassuring words as as soon as I looked online even the NHS site has lots of scary information and it is making me feel quite overwhelmed.

BouncingBlueberry Tue 14-Mar-17 10:52:06

This was me 6 weeks ago. I had confirmation of GD. DONT PANIC! it's not as bad as it seems and as long as your sensible and honest with yourself you'll be fine. I've had GD for 6 weeks now and I'm controlling mine through diet and exercise and even had my testing amount reduced! Tackle it with a positive frame of mind and you'll be fine.

highinthesky Tue 14-Mar-17 10:56:07

BouncingBlueberry is absolutely right!

It feels devastating at the time but knowledge is power. GD (if that's what you are diagnosed with) needs to be treated aggressively to secure the best outcome for yourself and the baby, so approach this with an open mind and a willingness to do-operate.

It may well settle down post partum so just see this a temporary thing. It will all be over soon!

OstrichRunning Tue 14-Mar-17 11:12:44

I was diagnosed with GD at 35 weeks. This was very late because like you, I'd no risk factors, until at 35 wks my amniotic fluid went a bit high. I well remember the shock and worry. But - everything was completely fine. My hospital had a brilliant diabetes team and I ended up managing it on diet alone. Baby was born naturally, with no problems and is now a happy little 19 month old.

IF you do turn out to have it, remember that nothing you ate while pregnant caused this to happen. When pregnant, the body has to produce a lot more insulin than normal and some women will just automatically develop diabetes while pregnant, regardless of how healthy they are. A diabetes nurse told me that.

Finding out at 29 weeks gives you plenty of time to manage it. The only worry with GD is when it's unmanaged throughout pregnancy, esp at the end.

flowers

tulip22 Tue 14-Mar-17 15:54:00

Thank you that is very reassuring to hear! X

greylove Tue 14-Mar-17 16:24:00

I had GD @ 25 wks I just tested my blood sugar levels regularly 6 times a day but only because I had hyperpremis and kept being sick
Keeping in range 3.5 - 7 with diet only is
possible they do offer metformin but bear in mind that it does strip out b12 which can make you feel tired and they should do blood tests to check on b12
And last resort is insulin

itbeeps Tue 14-Mar-17 18:13:26

i got diagonosed with GD a few weeks ago and have found the gestational diabetes uk website excellent for its advice/info

haveacupoftea Wed 15-Mar-17 17:53:55

Controlling GD with diet is not always possible. I've been very strict with diet to the point that i have ketones in my urine and blood sugars are still too high. As you go along OP you will likely require more and more medication but thats GD for you - dont feel guilty about it as there is nothing you can do.

Its a struggle but not the end of the world really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now