Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Trouble Shaving ''Down There'' In Late Pregnancy.

(45 Posts)
user1476968120 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:35:30

I know this is TMI or too personal but honestly, I need advice on this. I am someone who feels incredibly self-conscious if I'm not shaved down there before having sex or spending the evening/weekend with my boyfriend. But recently as i've gotten bigger, i've been finding it really hard to reach to be able to do it as my bump has been in the way.

I'd be so embarrassed if I couldn't keep myself ''sorted'' for the rest of this pregnancy, Even more so when in just 2 months I'll be giving birth and people will be looking at that area. Alot of people have said they get their boyfriends or husbands to do it for them, but I'm a very shy person and wouldn't be comfortable with that. I don't really know what to do.

Anyone experianced this problem before?

user1476968120 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:36:56

Opps, meant experienced

MoreThanUs Mon 13-Mar-17 22:43:34

I think you've got some thinking to do. It sounds like a very strange situation to be in when you're just about to have a baby. Is your boyfriend the father of your baby? Why do you shave there and why is it a problem if you don't for a few months? Make sure you have the right motivations - for yourself, not someone else.

Toobloodytired Mon 13-Mar-17 22:46:18

What you need is a folding mirror.

It's free standing so you can sit in front of it & see everything!

I use mine to shave as cant see lol!

Lessthanaballpark Mon 13-Mar-17 22:48:12

I don't think the doctors and midwives actually care, if that's what you're worried about.

NerrSnerr Mon 13-Mar-17 22:51:03

I'm sure your boyfriend will understand- if he doesn't then he isn't worth the worry because he's an idiot. Medical professionals won't care.

oldbirdy Mon 13-Mar-17 22:51:37

I had 4 kids with a naturally hairy fanny and the midwives managed not to vomit or look horrified so please don't worry. If you really are desperate could you go to a salon?

Toobloodytired Mon 13-Mar-17 22:52:06

No HCP will give a crap however op does.

I want to make sure I'm shaved down there before I give birth, not for them but for me, how comfortable it would make me feel.

I'm single, pregnant & have had only 1 HCP look down there since I fell pregnant & I still shave!

Redken24 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:54:01

When your in labor you will have experience checks to see how far along you are. You will eventually not care who sees what - honestly. The next day after labour you will hopefully go for a shower etc with your OH supporting you. He will see lots of things during labour and will get over it. Try not to worry x

Wolfiefan Mon 13-Mar-17 22:58:34

If you're old enough to have sex then the person you're having it with should be old enough to cope with the concept of pubic hair.
Midwives and doctors won't be examining the state of your personal grooming. They only care about getting a baby safely into the world.
As a side note. You shave? Surely itchy as fuck?

CatAstronaut Mon 13-Mar-17 23:03:01

Why don't you pay someone to wax if it bothers you that much?

I honestly think you will find labour a real eye opener if you are this shy about such a thing!

AuntieStella Mon 13-Mar-17 23:07:52

I'm old enough to remember the campaigns (that were needed right into the 1980s) to drive out the practice of compulsory shaving for all women for delivery.

There is no medical advantage to being hair free, and indeed depilation close to the onset of labour has a small (but totally avoidable) additional risk of infection (via micro-abrasions).

And attitudes have changed - HCPs do not require (or even expect) hair removal.

OP: you do sound very anxious about this. Even for those who have a preference for removal, there's usually a recognition that it requires back-pedalling in late pregnancy and the post natal period, because it just cannot really be done - though topiary with clippers is one option, as is professional waxing (though for heavens sake don't start that if you're not accustomed to it).

elektrawoman Mon 13-Mar-17 23:10:03

No not TMI - I have read much worse on MN!
I think it would honestly be helpful if you could try and be less worried about people seeing 'that area'. The midwives, doctors and nurses have seen so many women naked they honestly won't give two hoots whether you are shaved or have a furball! And by the time you've been examined numerous times / puked / pooped on the floor / had various medical students pop in for 'a look', you honestly won't care either, believe me grin
However, mentally it does help to be in as relaxed a space as possible for birth....at the end of the day all that matters is you and your baby, please try not to worry what other people think.

user1489450833 Tue 14-Mar-17 00:54:08

I completely understand how you're feeling. When I had my first child I was so self conscious about my body, albeit my partner had no issue whatsoever. I eventually had a wax which was incredibly sensitive. From then on I began to appreciate my changing body and realised my partner did too. I'm 9 weeks pregnant with our second and other than nightly sickness I'm loving it.

Smooshface Tue 14-Mar-17 00:57:45

Had about 5 people at the business end of me while I got sewn up after episiotomy with my first. I think I could care less if boyfriend can't stand to see a few hairs. And if he doesn't like it, shaving can but fun in itself. How else does he think you are so smooth? Wait, don't answer that...

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Mar-17 06:20:36

I havnt seen down there since few months preg

Now almost 38w

I understand about personal grooming

Hence I get waxed and had toes done. Want nice feet in labour

Would hate to see unpolished /chipped toes. So all gelled up smile

Agree with others tho , you will be examined and once in labour none of the doctors will care

Sounds like your partner hasn't seen you naked

summerson Tue 14-Mar-17 06:24:34

I went for a Hollywood wax at 37 weeks ... the pain was ridiculously intense! Have a go and see how you'll cope with pain management/labour grinanyway, it made me feel wonderful, i suggest you go for a wax.

Beansonapost Tue 14-Mar-17 06:35:04

I agree with PP who said if you're old enough to have sex... you're old enough to accept pubic hair.

I'm 38 weeks with my second... and my DH grooms my bits because I can't see and I'm not about to stand leg up mirror between my legs struggling to remove hair... when I can lay back and have my DH do it for me.

It's natural... there is no difference to what he sees when he goes to give you oral sex unless you only ever have sex in the dark...

My last labour is was unshaven... didn't even bother to trim. It really doesn't matter... when you're in the situation the only concern is getting that baby out.

Also he'll probably see you shit yourself during labour ... I think that's far more grim than a bit of hair.

But you can always opt for a wax... more painful in pregnancy though.

Beansonapost Tue 14-Mar-17 06:35:52

I **

phoebe2016 Tue 14-Mar-17 06:40:18

I know how you feel OP! I have shaved mine for years (as a personal preference) and up until the last week, didn't manage too badly. Im now 26wks and omg what a mission!! (The struggle is real!) Lol. I've tried contorting in all sorts of positions and it's really difficult. I am going to start doing it, using a hand held mirror to help get a clear view, from now on! I know the midwifes don't care what state a womans bits are in when you go in to labour, but i do. It's about whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Mar-17 06:47:06

Going to be waxed is much easier. Done in literally 5mins and no stubble rash and lasts a good 6/8w

countingdown2gin Tue 14-Mar-17 06:48:35

I got a free shave on the NHS when I went for my c section last time. gringrin

JigglyTuff Tue 14-Mar-17 06:55:30

Blondes - if there is any chance you have to have a GA, your toenail polish will have to come off. Some women also find waxing incredibly painful during pregnancy.

OP - either get someone else to do it or let it go. If your partner is going to be watching you push a baby out of your vagina, I can't think he's going to be worried about some bodily hair.

00100001 Tue 14-Mar-17 07:10:55

Presumably you are having sex with your boyfriend? Why would you be shy about him shaving you? Surely he's seen it all before? confused

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Mar-17 07:21:21

I know sad but they can rub one toe off ...... 😃

I didn't find waxing painful but weird trusting someone to know how far/much to take off as couldn't see

Told her to make it nice smile

Plus if have cs I didn't want to be shaved and obv mess hair is easier with discharge and lockia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now