We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anyone have a vulval varicose vein?

(11 Posts)
cooperbug Mon 13-Mar-17 21:58:09

I'm 18 weeks pregnant with second baby with a general achey/heavy feeling down below. This seems to be worse when I've been on my feet all day but I've also been very constipated recently so think might be that too.

Anyway I had a look today and looks red and swollen a bit more on one side. Not sure if just thrush though as but itchy too.

What would it look like if vulval varicose vein and when do they usually start?

mistermagpie Mon 13-Mar-17 22:16:07

I've got one (I'm so lucky...). Mine appeared at about 20 weeks I think but this is my second baby and I think they might be more common then. It looks like you would imagine, a quite obvious swollen vein, but mine is more on the outer labia (sorry!) than internal.

I spoke to the midwife about it and she said it wouldn't cause any issues for birth unless it was actually in the vagina itself, and even then it would probably be ok. She also said it should go after I have the baby which is good because it ain't pretty!

cooperbug Tue 14-Mar-17 08:01:08

Thanks for your reply mrmagpie.

How much trouble is it causing you and how many weeks are you now?

I've booked an appt at the drs for Friday to see if that's what they think it is. The swelling has totally gone down this morning after being in bed last night. It wasn't lumpy or blue though like a typical varicose vein so I'm not sure.

Just worried if it is that how much worse is it going to get as my job means I'm on my feet all day and when not I'm running around after a toddler!

mistermagpie Tue 14-Mar-17 18:05:56

I'm 37 weeks now and he hasn't caused me any bother really. Mine is quite external though and although it rubs a bit if I wear tight trousers (which I don't really!) then otherwise I wouldn't know it was there. It is a typical blue vein though, so no mistaking it, yours might be something else.

I felt a lot of pressure and swelling 'down there' until about 24 weeks I think, the midwife said it was normal with a second baby and actually it has got better since then.

Redyellowpinkblue Tue 14-Mar-17 18:10:40

I've got one, and lots of swelling and pressure. All the extra blood flow and heat/swelling makes it all a bit itchy and uncomfortable so I use panty liners and vagisil to ease it and it really works. I had this with my 1st pregnancy and I am 29 weeks with 2nd pregnancy and have it again. Vanished after birth with no lasting after effects.

hopsalong Tue 14-Mar-17 19:30:25

I don't just have one. I seem to have a whole clutch (?) of them, though worse on left side. It's vile. Had them at very end with my first pregnancy but might not have even noticed what it was if the midwife hadn't pointed them out after I gave birth by c-section. (Way to get a woman when she's down.) This time they are much worse and started about 20 weeks. Am now 33 weeks and find any prolonged standing very uncomfortable. But seems too embarrassing to tell anyone so am pretending I have SPD if I need an excuse for sitting down. Whole area looks horrific. Purple and lumpy.

Will be checking back for any tips. Don't have varicose veins on my legs at all, just in this one place. Ugh.

mistermagpie Tue 14-Mar-17 19:51:35

Poor you hops! I think I'm lucky just to have my one. It's not pretty though and I really hope it goes after the birth because I don't want to be stuck with it. You feel unsexy enough as it is without this going on!

dynevoran Tue 14-Mar-17 19:53:17

I got one 20 weeks with #2 baby and disappeared almost immediately after birth! Textbook.

Tattybogle89 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:25:53

I got one in the last trimester . bulgy itchy purple .. I gave birth and it was gone the next day!? So weird

cooperbug Tue 14-Mar-17 21:36:38

Thanks for all replies. More common than I thought then.

Hasn't been too bad today (if it is that even) but I haven't been on my feet as much as yesterday.

Will see what dr says on Friday. The joys of pregnancy!

phoebe2016 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:29:27

I think i might have one as well, been getting a very achey feeling low down on the one side and looking it it with a mirror (mission! Lol) it appears a bit bruised. The joys. The only place i got a couple of stretch marks with my last pregnancy was at the top of my leg, where it meets the crotch, and this feels achey too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now