Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First Docs appointment after BFP?

(24 Posts)
DevilWearsPrimark Mon 13-Mar-17 21:28:37

I rang my local docs the morning after getting BFP yesterday, and asked to be seen (as per nhs website advise). I told the receptionist I'd had a positive test, and I was told they only book people in to see midwife at 8 weeks, and you don't see the doctor at all. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm pretty sure friends that have been pregnant have just gone in to see doctor.

TheBiscuitStrikesBack Mon 13-Mar-17 21:30:27

Nope, just the midwife for booking in. I think that was at 10 weeks for me. Nothing for a doctor to do really, other than tell you to take your vitamins!

Congrats on the bfp.

KoolKoala07 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:31:38

No. I haven't seen doc. Got my booking in appt next week with mw when I'll be 9 weeks.

coxsorangepippin Mon 13-Mar-17 21:32:38

I saw my doc because the NHS website mentioned it, but she just said I should self refer to the hospital to get a midwife appointment. Might as well not have gone.

DevilWearsPrimark Mon 13-Mar-17 21:32:46

Thank you, TheBiscuitStrikesBack. I really wasn't sure what to expect and the receptionist sounded really confused that I'd even rung up! Felt a bit daft really.

Jessiecat27 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:32:56

Same with me, waiting for my appointment for booking in at 8 weeks, congratulations!

arbrighton Mon 13-Mar-17 21:36:38

Nope, just handed midwife no at gp reception. Saw gp to discus medications a week or two later

DevilWearsPrimark Mon 13-Mar-17 21:54:40

Brilliant, thank you everyone that responded, sounds like pretty much everyone starts at the booking-in appointment.

Casmama Mon 13-Mar-17 21:59:59

Only difference is if you are aware of any health issues that may impact on your pregnancy.
I have a blood condition which meant I needed to be on a blood thinner during pregnancy so saw my GP to get a referral for consultant led care.
If you have no health issues then yes just midwife.
Good luck with the pregnancy👶

kathrynelizabeth3005 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:06:21

Congrats on your BFP!! flowers

Like everyone else has said, it's quite normal in most parts of the country to just book in with the midwife as your first appointment around 8 weeks.

I saw my GP when I was about 5 weeks just after I got my positive test but that was only because I have a couple of long term conditions that I take daily medication for and I wanted to make sure asap everything I have to take was safe for pregnancy.

Stickaforkinimdone Mon 13-Mar-17 22:06:25

Most places now enable you to self refer to the midwives so you don't even need to see a GP
Just pick which hospital you fancy going to, go on to their maternity page and fill in a referral form-you'll then get sent a booking appt in the post
Easy!

MrsGB2225 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:06:57

They don't see you before 8 weeks because of the higher risk of miscarriage unfortunately.

GreedyDuck Tue 14-Mar-17 07:45:41

I just self referred to maternity services at my local hospital each time, didn't see my GP at all.

10storeylovesong Tue 14-Mar-17 09:00:09

My GP still doesn't know, I just phoned the hospital and self referred to midwife who I saw at 10 weeks.

RubertRoo Tue 14-Mar-17 10:01:22

I rang the doctors and told them over the phone and they said 'you don't need to see the doctor - just come to reception to get a form for the midwife' - so I went down to get the form and the receptionist said 'we don't give you a form anymore just book you an appointment for when you are 8 weeks with the midwife'

2014newme Tue 14-Mar-17 10:06:52

You don't need to see a gp.
If you have a high risk pregnancy you will be referred to consultant rather than gp.
Sounds like the NHS advice to call your gp has not caught up with reality so don't feel daft. 💐

mum2be2boys Tue 14-Mar-17 11:21:11

I was told to see gp first, she did a pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy, filled in the forms to request the 12 week scan then told me to book in with the midwife.

Sounds like that's unusual for the majority of areas though!

gemgems2214 Tue 14-Mar-17 11:26:32

Yeah i found out at 5 weeks and rang doctors and the receptionist got doctor to ring me back who congratulated me and then told me to ring back through to book in with midwife which i did. He did me a letter over the phone to confirm pregnancy for work too.

TheTartOfAsgard Tue 14-Mar-17 11:26:35

I saw the midwife at what turned out to be 6 weeks but that was only because I was unsure of dates (could have been anywhere from 5-13)

iklboo Tue 14-Mar-17 11:28:37

I only had to see my GP to switch blood pressure meds to pregnancy friendly ones. Congratulations!

Lules Tue 14-Mar-17 11:29:01

I was told to make a GP appointment, which I actually needed because I was very sick and dehydrated (sickness hadn't started when I made the appointment). Didn't have midwife appointment til 11 weeks.

rainbowsandsunshine Tue 14-Mar-17 13:53:44

I did the same, the gp refered me though at 8 weeks and I have just recieved a booking appointment for the hospital when I will be 12 weeks. Will I have my scan then too? It does say to expect the visit to last 4 hours!

MrsGB2225 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:35:44

I had my booking appointment before my scan so call to double check about your scan.

Lules Tue 14-Mar-17 18:58:19

For my 1st they did everything in one go - booking appointment first, then scan, then blood tests. It did take hours and there was a fair amount of waiting around but it did get it done I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now