Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nasal congestion at 28 weeks

(10 Posts)
pinkkat37 Mon 13-Mar-17 18:34:00

Hello everyone. Im 28 weeks pregnant and over the past 2 days have develloped extreme nasal congestion. I dont feel I have a cold as no other symptoms. It is driving me round the bend. I had this only at night since week 12 maybe and controlled it with a bit of olbus oil under the pillow. But now it is non stop and really getting me down. I really want to take sudofed but i know i cant.. not sleeping and constant blowing.. any tips or advice??.
Thanks in advance. Xx

RMC123 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:02:01

Try steaming. Bowl of hot water, head over with a towel over your head. Small drop of Vicks or olbas oil in the water. Helped me when I had sinusitis at a similar stage

HN42 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:06:34

Have you tried saline nasal spray? It is safe in pregnancy and I find it does unblock my nose as I have had worse than normal nasal congestion the last couple of weeks. It is unfortunately quite pricey at around £9 a pack but it is a safe alternative to sudafed which you can use around 6 times a day I think and I would say its worth it, as it has always done the job while steam and olbas oil does nothing for me.

pinkkat37 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:32:22

Thanks guys.. ive tried using an olbus oil bath foam tonight and that enabled me to breathe through my nose for the first time in 2 days.. but it all returned within about half an hour... i tried something called sterimar which is a saline spray but it just made me sneeze alot.. this coukd be because the passages are so dry and irritated now so i will persist. Think im going to try a neti pot next.. just wish there was a quick fix.. im dreading another sleepless night of blowing. Do you think its definitely pregnancy related or should i see the dr if this keeps on?.. is just weird i have no other symtoms but the persistant nose blowing and blocked up stuffiness. Is making me more drained and tired too. Xx

gigi556 Tue 14-Mar-17 06:26:08

I'm nearly 30 weeks and have had this issue for weeks. It's driving me batty!!!! It's definitely pregnancy related. I had some acupuncture over the weekend which helped for about 24 hours. Might try again but am fairly resigned to live with it. I'm gonna try essential oils too.

BaffledMummy Tue 14-Mar-17 09:26:02

I'm 20 weeks and had what seemed like endless mucus for weeks...then it got worse and have ended up with sinus infection which is brutal. Been prescribed antibiotics now which I'm not too happy about taking but desperate to clear it up and ease the pain of the pressure headaches it causes. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go away, see you gp. It's miserable OP...I sympathise whole heartedly! I've gone through a trees worth of tissues in the last few weeks!

pinkkat37 Tue 14-Mar-17 10:21:06

It sounds aweful but I am pleased its not just me.. but feel bad for you guys.. it really is miserable.

Thanks . I will definatly go to the dr soon if this keeps up as im finding it hard to concentrate on anything and counting the weeks till im off on maternity.

I too have got through a tree of tissues and should have shares in olbus i reakon. X

SumAndSubstance Tue 14-Mar-17 12:00:49

I've just seen my midwife who said the nasal congestion which has been plaguing me for the last couple of months (I'm now 30 weeks) is probably caused by the same hormone as is responsible for my SPD. Lovely!

milkmoustache Tue 14-Mar-17 12:04:03

I think it's definitely pregnancy related, sorry. In the last 6 weeks I was pregnant with DD, i had a hideous cold and congested nose that just wouldn't shift, no matter what. As soon as she was born, the cold disappeared. You have my full sympathy!!

pinkkat37 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:45:08

Ahhh.. roll on the next 11weeks or so then. Looks like its here to stay unfortunately. I just had a go with a Neilmed sinus rinse bottle. U put a sachet of salt solution in.. quirt it up one nostril and let it flow out the other.. i must admitt it was quite soothing once u get use to the process.. as u need to keep your mouth open to breathe.. and lean slightly forward but to one side. I actually feel a bit clearer.. it was better for me than the sterimar salt spray as you get a bigger flow of water washing all the crap out and is more of a flush out flow than a spray going up. Any other tips r most welcome though.. just a shame most people say its here till the birth. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now