Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Transverse baby 36+2

(12 Posts)
babynelly2010 Mon 13-Mar-17 11:52:05

Hi my baby is transverse and was like that pretty much always. She is also measuring 2 weeks ahead. I am meeting consultant this wednesday. Would they do anything at this point or still early? I am not going to have the baby manually moved and happy to go with section.
Anyone knows, had same experience?

Bear2014 Mon 13-Mar-17 12:35:54

Hi there, my DD was transverse from 33 ish weeks all the way through til when she was delivered at 39+4. At my hospital they didn't manually turn transverse babies, only breech ones so that was that. Have they said if you will have to be admitted to hospital for observation at 38 weeks? They sprung this on me at 37 weeks, which was a bit of a blow as no one had mentioned it until that point. So basically I lived at the hospital for a week and a half waiting for my section date. Good luck!

babynelly2010 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:03:59

Oh wow, I am not ready for hospital stay. Gp just confirmed today that she is transverse but I knew it already. My consultant appointment is on wednesday. Did they scan you to see why the baby transverse?

Bear2014 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:20:45

I know that some LAs don't admit at 38 weeks. I was with St Thomas' London. They scanned to confirm she was transverse, at 37 weeks and every day when I was on the antenatal ward but they never offered an explanation of why she was in that position. It was only revealed at birth that the she was completely tangled up in the very long umbilical cord, which may or may not have been the reason.

babynelly2010 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:02:58

Ahh, I read the cord is very common reason for transverse baby. Well, what will be will be. I am panicking now though, washing baby clothes and packing hospital bags...

Bear2014 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:04:19

Can't hurt to be prepared - they gave me such little warning, I basically finished work and went into hospital about 2 days later. Good luck!

babynelly2010 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:08:22

Oh wow, thank you for sharing your experience :-)

McBaby Mon 13-Mar-17 16:59:17

Dd2 turned transverse at 38 weeks at my routine midwife appointment I wasn't allowed home again! I chose ecv and immediate induction over c section or staying in hospital to see what happened!

Good luck.

Currently 32 weeks with dc3 and suspect this one is transverse and has been since 20 so it better turn soon as being induced at 38 weeks.

babynelly2010 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:55:34

Thank you for that. I currently in a state of panic. Washed half of baby clothes, need to clean up, pack hospital back. My maternity leave started today and I thought I had plenty of time.

babynelly2010 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:56:01

Oops *hospital bag

McBaby Mon 13-Mar-17 18:18:24

Sorry didn't mean to scare you. You still have time to get sorted.

Cuppaqueen Tue 14-Mar-17 07:54:53

Hey babynelly, hope it all goes ok with your appointment tomorrow! I'm in a similar position but a week or so behind you (35 weeks today). Baby has been transverse for the last month to the surprise of my doctor who said it's quite unusual for a first baby!

I wondered if you know which way up baby is? Mine is footling i.e. back up and feet/hands hanging down towards the cervix. My doctor says there is a risk of cord prolapse in this position if my waters break early so if he doesn't move, they will want to do an early c-section before 38 weeks (I am abroad so possibly different policy to NHS). I'm guessing if this is the case, they're more likely to admit you early?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now