Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Losing blood in early pregnancy

(10 Posts)
orangedahlia31 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:55:36

Hey guys, first timer here..!
Last week, at about 5.5 weeks pregnant, I had what I thought was quite a significant bleed and therefore miscarriage - me and husband having sex and I started to get a slight aching pain (like when getting a cervical smear!) and all of a sudden there was quite a lot of blood.. I bled that evening (probably about 2-3 tablespoons) and when I got out of bed the next morning but had barely any cramps; the blood was bright red but without any clots/stringiness... The following day there was the tiniest bit of spotting. Nothing like my normal periods (usually get bad bad cramps).
I've never been pregnant before, so I have NO IDEA what any of this means...
The problem is, I've not had many pregnancy symptoms so it's hard to tell whether my hormone levels have dramatically changed. Boobs still feel a bit swollen and my uteturus feels tight as before. Still fatigued but I'm always fatigued so this doesn't help! And, I wouldn't even be 6 weeks along yet (that is, if I'm still pregnant)
I felt pretty blue the next morning as we thought we had miscarried but other than that I feel really positive.i.e. not hormonal and teary!
Haven't really had any morning sickness. Possibly a sign I wasn't successfully pregnant in the first place.

I'm really keen to know how much blood you can lose while remaining pregnant...it seemed like such a lot for such an early stage but my intuition is just telling me it wasn't a miscarriage... Confused!

GreedyDuck Sun 12-Mar-17 11:41:04

No one on the internet can answer your question, but yes it's possible to bleed quite significantly in early pregnancy and not miscarry. If you are worried, speak to your gp to get a referral for an early scan or self refer to your local EPU.

NuttyCasey Sun 12-Mar-17 13:22:12

Unfortunately I can't comment a lot on the bleeding, apart from that it could go either way? Some people bleed but go on to have perfectly healthy pregnancies!

My advice is on your symptoms, 5.5 weeks is very early to get a lot of the symptoms! Morning sickness tends to start 6+ weeks (can be earlier for some women, but rarer) and the same goes for many other symptoms! So I wouldn't worry yourself with the lack of symptoms as chances are they haven't Started properly yet!

Hope you get the result you want smile

AgentCooper Sun 12-Mar-17 13:33:50

Hi Orange, I completely agree with Greedy - phone the Early Pregnancy Unit and speak to them. I have had bleeding on and off since I found out I was pg at 5 weeks (am now just over 8) and I know how scary it is.

Thing is, if I wasn't pg it probably wouldn't alarm me as I know I get cervical erosion which causes me to bleed but because I am pg it's really freaked me out. I've been scanned by the EPU twice now and both times saw a wee bean measuring as it should with a wee heartbeat. The nurses there don't seem at all worried about me but they're insistent that I come back if I'm worried. They are really, really nice and knowledgeable, best medical professionals I've seen in a long time.

So I'd doing that but also rest and be gentle with yourself. This is my first time too and it is so fucking emotionally and physically draining, isn't it? flowers

luciemk Sun 12-Mar-17 14:15:01

I think v likely you are still pregnant. Had this in my first pregnancy and also assumed I had miscarried but bleeding tapered off (more spotting later in first trimester, including stringy stuff, especially if I had sex, so stopped doing that). In second pregnancy actually had even more bleeding / gushing bright red blood. Also fine, though second time a hematoma was visible on a scan. You can lose a lot more blood than it sounds you have and stay pregnant.

Please get yourself to an EPU and have a scan to see. If you do a pregnancy test what does the line look like?

DuRezidal Sun 12-Mar-17 15:42:58

I had a bleed on Thursday (few drops in toilet and reasonable amount on tissue) and was pretty sure that I was no longer pregnant.

I went to the EPU as wanted bloods taken and my doctors don't have facilities to take bloods.

Since Friday it has been light brown spotting on and off. The bloods today showed that it is still very snuggled in and viable, and have a scan on Wednesday to see if there is a reason for the bleed.

In my last pregnancy I bled and spotted from 5 weeks through to 10 weeks due to a haemorrhage site so suspecting the same thing.

mummabubs Sun 12-Mar-17 15:51:51

My first pregnancy too, I had a bleed at 7 weeks and got referred to my local EPU for a scan- all fine. I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms at that stage either, only been the last 2 weeks that I have (now 10.5 weeks). Best bet is to call GP/ out of hours and explain and get yourself to your nearest early pregnancy unit so that they can investigate and you'll know either way then. Xx

orangedahlia31 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:57:02

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys - this really helped.. I got myself referred to the EPU today and the scan showed an embryo with the heart beating so all is well! It was apparently likely a capillary/vessel bursting from the sex, because the cervix is so tender. I'm so relieved.
Thanks for all the kind words x

mummabubs Mon 13-Mar-17 19:01:13

Great news Orange! 😊 Meant to add that my bleed was following sex too, apparently it's quite common xx

Wingsofdesire Mon 13-Mar-17 19:39:55

That's great news!! : D

Yes, I had the same. Not so much bright red blood as you had, but I did have a few times where there was blood and we went and sat for ages in A & E and then ... it was all fine. It was that the cervix was more 'friable', as they described it.

So glad all is OK for you : ) xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now