We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone gone through labour with bronchitis?

(4 Posts)
Dimestorediamond Sat 11-Mar-17 14:35:01

For those of you who have given birth before, has anyone done this while sick with a chest infection or similar? I've had recurrent sinus infections with cough for most of this pregnancy and up until now the cough has always been dry. I've had a couple of antibiotics, but each time the cough has lasted 2 to 3 weeks and has resulted in strained muscles, sore ribs and so on. Since last night, my most recent cough has turned chesty and productive and I feel very unwell. I plan to see my GP on Monday but regardless of cause or treatment I am likely to have this cough when go into labour. I'm 38+2 and second time mother. I'm already peeing myself during coughing fits (!) and really worried I won't be able to use gas and air effectively. I was hoping to have a reasonably unmedicated water birth after needing forceps first time round! Anyone with any similar experience?

calimommy Sun 12-Mar-17 05:36:22

I nearly coughed out my second baby. Poor pelvic muscles took a battering for the two weeks solid before he was born 😬 amazingly though, the minute he was born I was magically better. Bizarre I know. Even my consultant commented on it, and she had listened to my chest only a few days prior. It was also a possible reason he was early (2+ weeks) but he was also 7.5lbs so fine and big and I was DONE being pregnant so not complaints here:

booox Sun 12-Mar-17 07:08:11

Are they sure it's not asthma? And now led to infection? Mine developed after the birth of my son. When bad though it dies produce clear phlegm. I'm never bad enough for hospital but a blue inhaler increased my peak flow enough to be classed as asthma. If allowed, a blue inhaler may ease symptoms even if not asthma.

Can get worse or better in pregnancy.

My only symptoms are cough unless extremely inflamed.

Good luck and congratulations!

Dimestorediamond Mon 13-Mar-17 21:42:53

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean about the pelvic floor - and I'd been doing my exercises religiously! Pretty sure it's not asthma but the midwife suggested that the sinus problems could be hormonal. This time round my husband is also ill and coughing so I think it's just a virus. Didn't bother with GP today as feeling slightly better - I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now