Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Worried about being asked to go into hospital

(9 Posts)
blondehair Sat 11-Mar-17 10:55:39

Hey,

I went for my 20 week scan yesterday, and found out I was having a little boy! 😁 which was what I had said I wanted from the start (although I would have been so happy with a girl too)

The nurse said everything was looking great, but the baby was in an awkward position so asked me to go for a walk (with the hope of the baby moving) and then she would scan again.

He clearly hadn't moved very much and she worried abit about not being able to see the heart properly. She said the chances of it being fine was high,but she didn't want to say for definite (which I understand) so didn't know whether to ask me to have another walk or go back in a couple of days. I told her I didn't mind, and whatever was best because it's better to be safe than sorry.

She then decided to book me an appointment to go back to the hospital for Wednesday and said it was just to double check everything was fine.

I'm starting to get more worried the more I think about it, as a lot of people in my family have had heart problems. I know that if she was terribly worried, she would have got me to stay yesterday to check, but it's just the days of waiting to make sure.

I'm really scared for bad news.

MamaTT Sat 11-Mar-17 11:00:30

I had exactly the same situation last week. My baby was too comfy curled up in my pelvis so the sonographer couldn't get a view of her heart and couldn't measure her spine. I was sent for a walk but that didn't work so I was booked in for another appointment a few days later. Baby was in a much better position so the sonofrapher was able to get a really good view of everything she needed to see. They look in detail at all the chambers of the heart and the ventricles etc so they have to call you in. It's absolutely nothing to worry about. I'm sure you're baby will get a clean bill of health, just Like mine.

Polly99 Sat 11-Mar-17 11:00:31

I'm sure that it's just the baby was in an awkward position. I had the same at both my 20 week scans. They couldn't get a good luck at DD1, and DD2 appeared to have a disproportionately large stomach but a tiny head. Both were absolutely fine at the rescan. Try not to worry.

Gaaaah Sat 11-Mar-17 11:04:25

I've had this for 2 of my 6 pregnancies. Both times it was nothing to worry about and simply that baby was in a silly place and being awkward. Please don't worry.

blondehair Sat 11-Mar-17 11:07:54

Okay thank you for all your messages everyone! I'm glad other people have been through the same and things have been normal.

Deep down I know everything's going to be fine and I'm probably just over reacting 😊 just wasn't expecting to go back so quickly for something so important x

jld128 Sat 11-Mar-17 11:53:23

hey i'm exactly the same except don't know the sex! i'm 22weeks went for my 20week scan yesterday but baby was face down and she couldn't measure heart or belly button/cord insertion but everything else measured fine i was poked and prodded moved around etc but baby was not moving! got to go back in i next two weeks but i'm looking at it like if everything else is growing perfectly then the heart must be doing a good job!

blondehair Sat 11-Mar-17 19:18:21

He just wasn't moving whatever I decided to do,but she said everything seemed fine so I shouldn't be worrying about it much. That's a good way of looking at it! It's made me feel better about it all so thank you x

ILikeSalmon Sat 11-Mar-17 20:48:54

Why on earth be worried?
The baby was curled up so they need another go when it's moved to get all the measurements
I would say 1 in 5 scans the person has to go back coz they couldn't get measurements

drinkyourmilk Sat 11-Mar-17 20:51:26

I had the same situation. Couldn't complete heart or facial scan, had to go back twice as baby wouldn't move! Everything is fine and I'm waiting on go into labour now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: