We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to pronounce 'Mair'

(9 Posts)
MummyMcCabe Sat 11-Mar-17 08:54:27

Good morning ladies. Our second girl is due 11th July, we all so super excited! We're looking at names, our 15 month old girl is called Ffion (my husband is Welsh, we live in Wales but don't speak the language or know many people who really do). Now we really like the name Mair for our new baby girl but are struggling with the pronunciation. We think it's pronounced like 'Mya' or is it 'Mya-rrr' with the 'r' really strong??? Help please!!! Thanks x smile

DonaldTrumpsTrump Sat 11-Mar-17 08:59:02

I'm Welsh and a Welsh speaker and it's said like My-rrr. So say my in a Welshy way as in my socks and a strong r at the end. So v similar to what you said, does that make sense? Congrats smile

DonaldTrumpsTrump Sat 11-Mar-17 09:01:48

Also depends where you live to be honest as to how it'll be pronounced. Which part of wales do you live?

JennyOnAPlate Sat 11-Mar-17 09:05:57

Yes strong r at the end so like My-rrr. It's my aunts name.

AuntieStella Sat 11-Mar-17 09:09:43

You might get more responses if you post in 'baby names'

(Your post isn't really about pregnancy - and it's not obvious but the topic for the pregnant to chat about anything/everything is this one: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs

And alothiugh I'm likely to get yelled at for being thread police, if other topics (such as conception, chat, names, etc) start creeping in here, then questions about pregnancy get crowded out, which is a great shame for those pregnancy questions gets overlooked)

absolutelynotfabulous Sat 11-Mar-17 09:09:51

I'd say MA-y-rrrrrr.

MummyMcCabe Sat 11-Mar-17 09:13:05

That was such a good explanation!!! Thanks so much! We live in Caerphilly smile

MummyMcCabe Sat 11-Mar-17 09:14:22

Oops! Didn't see the baby names part! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! smile

DonaldTrumpsTrump Sat 11-Mar-17 09:18:32

My friend lives in Caerphilly and is quite welshy so hopefully it would be pronounced the correct way (west walian here)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now