Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Pox

(12 Posts)
jld128 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:20:11

so looking for a bit of advice my stepdaughters school has had an outbreak of chicken pox, scarlet fever and the foot hand and mouth virus

i've had chicken pox before and so has she i'm 22weeks pregnant is it still advised to stay away from her?

i've text the midwife so just waiting for her to reply but thought i'd ask here for people's thoughts

dementedpixie Fri 10-Mar-17 19:22:04

Should be fine if you've both had it tbh

Chinnygirl Fri 10-Mar-17 20:13:35

I believe that you can still get shingles so I would stay away.

Fairy45 Fri 10-Mar-17 20:45:58

I phoned midwife yesterday about this as my toddler has it. She said as long as ive had it me n baby are fine

dementedpixie Fri 10-Mar-17 20:47:22

You don't get shingles from contact with chicken pox!

mum2be2boys Fri 10-Mar-17 21:25:39

There is chicken pox in my son's preschool and midwife told me that as I've had chicken pox, baby and I are both safe.

You can get shingles if you are exposed to chicken pox! I have twice!

youngestisapsycho Fri 10-Mar-17 21:36:20

My DD had chicken pox when I was pregnant. Doctor said it would be fine as I'd had them twice before.

Emma2803 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:49:47

You should be fine if you have had it before. You can't catch shingles from chicken pox,

ighinici Fri 10-Mar-17 22:02:59

normally, you should be fine if you already had it. in fact, shingles and chickenpox are caused by the same virus (the varicella zoster virus). shingles is the reactivation of varicella zoster virus, while chickenpox is the initial infection. but the cause (the virus that originates it) is the same.
that being said, shingles usually reactivates in the body due to other factors, rather than contact with a person who's got chickenpox.

dementedpixie Fri 10-Mar-17 22:27:19

I have read that exposure to wild chickenpox (when you have had chicken pox before) can help boost immunity and lessen chances of shingles. You don't get shingles from chickenpox but can get chicken pox from shingles

jld128 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:28:15

Thanks very much everyone smile

jld128 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:28:28

midwife pretty much said the same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now