Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Crib/moses basket/carrycot confusion

(20 Posts)
sunnyfields25 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:16:04

Hi folks

I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I'm nearly 27 weeks and have just started looking at what baby things I might need to buy. My head was spinning from looking at pushchairs so I decided to focus on sleeping furniture instead, thinking it might be more straightforward - I was wrong! confused

Having a cot in our bedroom would be a tight squeeze, so I'm thinking of getting a crib to have in there for the first 6 months and then moving baby to a cot in the nursery after that. But what do people normally do for daytime naps downstairs? I've read that a moses basket tends to get outgrown after a couple of months. There's the option of a pram carrycot, but given that most aren't safe for night-time sleeping then are they ok for daytime naps?

This world of baby equipment is all very new to me so any tips or nuggets of wisdom would be much appreciated smile

Belle1409 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:17:48

A sleepyhead is good as you can bring it downstairs with you and baby can sleep in it next to you on the sofa. It can also be put inside the crib in the bedroom as well, particularly when your baby is a newborn.

savagehk Fri 10-Mar-17 15:24:53

Provided no pets / older siblings / whatever, we used the pram carrycot at first (didn't last too long mind, not sure it's that much bigger than a moses basket!) but after that he just slept on the floor on a blanket. This time I'm considering a crib for downstairs (we gave away the pram as this is the only thing we ever used it for!) and we now have an older child so I'd prefer the floor free for him to run around / play without worrying. Good things have been said to me about the "tiny love 3 in one rocker napper" too.

GirlElephant Fri 10-Mar-17 15:43:02

We had a crib in the bedroom for the first 6 months like you are planning.

We borrowed a Moses basket and he grew out of it around 4 months, we kept it in the living room so it was useful. When he outgrew it he napped on the floor on his playmat or on the couch next to me or on my knee. From 5 months where it was convenient I would try to get him to nap in his cot in his nursery to get him used to it, it worked well as he easily transitioned into his own room at 6 months.

My DS loves cuddles so my favourite naps are usually when he's on me smile. But I did try not to make every nap on me so that he wasn't entirely dependent. Though I think a lot of this is luck rather than planning!

CaipirinhasAllRound Fri 10-Mar-17 16:10:02

We had DS in a carrycot in our room then moved him into his cotbed in his own room at 7 or 8 weeks (babies make a lot of noise). Can't really remember what I did in the day, will have been the carrycot or Moses basket to start with then maybe the floor or carried him upstairs to his cot. Also uded his bouncer quite a bit. Didn't have any other pieces of equipment/furniture.

Notso Fri 10-Mar-17 16:46:10

I had quite big babies long and chunky! None of them outgrew a Moses basket or carrycot before 6 months. They were a bit squished towards the end but mostly slept 'froggy' legged or would stick their leg over the side so it wasn't a problem.
After the first few weeks we mostly used carrycot or Moses basket downstairs and a cot or travel cot upstairs in our room.
Them being used to the carrycot was great because then they could sleep anywhere we went. We didn't have one for DC4 as we had a double pram and I really missed it.

welshweasel Fri 10-Mar-17 17:10:14

We had a sleepyhead. He used it for all daytime naps and at night it went in the snuzpod we had in our room. Was really useful to take away with us too. We even took it on holiday! DH used to give DS a final feed at about midnight, settle him in the sleepyhead and carry him up to our room, was ace.

sweetchilli77 Fri 10-Mar-17 17:34:33

things to consider are what ir or you may have a CS, will you want to be carrying anything up or down stairs, bending over etc.

With my 1st we had a moses basket and we did the above, and got a cot later and it got a bit of hard work, plus my baby was prem and was tiny

This time I'm using the cot upstair straight away (we have the space) and leaving Moses basket down stairs. I anticipate this baby will be bigger, infact i know so i know the moses basket won't be uses for long so i intent to us the bouncer chair which was brilliant as it vibrates and good for refills etc. Some bouncer chairs are more upright so i would choose carefully if doing so.

There are all those many sleeping pods you can buy however are expensive.

I wouldn't go mad because they really don't stay in the long...

sweetchilli77 Fri 10-Mar-17 17:36:00

good for reflux not refill, bleeding autocorrect sad

sunnyfields25 Fri 10-Mar-17 20:20:46

Wow there's a lot of great advice there, thanks very much everyone grin

I think my brain has reached baby planning overload for today, so I'm going to come back to this fresh in the morning and read up on the options people have suggested, as there are some things such as the Sleepyhead which I've not heard of. I'll also check how cheaply I could get a moses basket if we went down that route... I like the thought of having one that lives downstairs, just don't want to spend a fortune on something that's not used for very long.

Pitchforktotheface Fri 10-Mar-17 20:41:03

We had a Moses basket downstairs and a snuzpod upstairs.

Ds didn't use either until 4.5 months as he would only sleep on someone, day or night.

beargrass Fri 10-Mar-17 20:52:12

We also used the carrycot. Had room (just about) to put it next to the bed but I found it really hard to get in and out of the bed! So it was still in our room but not next to the bed. It was fine and saved having more stuff. We were able to give back the other bits we'd been loaned (Chico and a Moses basket)

haveacupoftea Sat 11-Mar-17 01:04:02

I've a moses basket for downstairs (£24 odd in Asda) and a crib for upstairs. Will get a cot bed later on before 6 months for the babys own room. Although some people just get the moses basket and carry it upstairs to bed!

10storeylovesong Sat 11-Mar-17 14:05:36

The sleepyheads are amazing. I've only ever heard good things about them. My ds was a terrible sleeper until we bought a poddle pod which is similar to sleepyhead but cheaper. It was the only time he would sleep not on dh or I.

Sunshinegirl82 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:28:35

We had a Snuzpod upstairs and a sleepyhead. Baby slept in sleepyhead in Snuzpod at night and in sleepyhead on its own on the floor or next to me on the sofa during the day. Was fine in both until six months when he moved into a cot in his own room (still in sleepyhead!)

Sleepyhead was also good for co-sleeping.

Sparklyuggs Sun 12-Mar-17 07:05:11

Just in case it helps, you can buy a secondhand sleepyhead as they are expensive. I emailed Sleepyhead who confirmed this.

I think a lot of the supermarkets sell Moses basket bundles quite cheaply, but planning on a next to me/sleepyhead combo myself so don't know any specifics.

helenfagain Sun 12-Mar-17 07:21:46

If you buy a brand new sleepyhead they are about £100 but bear in mind they sell very well secondhand so the overall cost is actually quite low. I sold mine for £65 so only cost me £35 overall.

kel1493 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:42:46

Hi, personally I don't like Moses baskets. We had a crib in our bedroom which lo slept in for all sleeps- day and night. I didn't want him to get used to sleeping downstairs anyway. We always had a video monitor.
We were lucky that his cot fitted in our room, even when we moved. Though personally I'd rather have moved the furniture so we could have put the cot in our room if necessary.
(We recently put lo in his own room as he kept waking up when we went to bed).
We used his carrycot for occasional overnight sleeping (when we stayed at my mums), but never at home. He always went in his crib.

welshweasel Tue 14-Mar-17 23:09:56

Safe sleeping guidelines are that baby should always sleep in the same room as you (at night and all naps) until 6 months. Having a video monitor is neither here nor there.

mum2be2boys Wed 15-Mar-17 10:55:04

We had a Crib upstairs in our room until we moved my son into his own room just after 6 months.

We were given a moses basket by a friend - we bought a new mattresses and used that downstairs for naps etc. There are lots of cheap second hand ones on various selling sites. It is recommended to get a new mattresses for a new baby though (even if siblings)

We will be doing exactly the same for baby number 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now