Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant with Gum Disease

(4 Posts)
FEJ2016 Fri 10-Mar-17 12:56:45

Basically I have gum disease, have done for a long time. Unfortunately it's a complicated case and they can't do the surgery I require to fix it (or even the x-rays to check how it is progressing) until after baby is born. I keep reading everywhere how it increases the risk of pre-term labour and low birth weight and I'm terrified. Did anyone suffering from gum disease go on to have a healthy baby? Or did anyone experience the side effects that the internet tells me about? I can't find any real statistics and it's driving me mad.

ILikeSalmon Fri 10-Mar-17 14:34:46

I suffer from constant bleeding gums.
I've had 2 babies and am 38 weeks preg

user1473539918 Wed 15-Mar-17 01:05:24

Why can't they do the treatment?
Just brush well twice a day. And use floss or the brushes to clean in between your teeth every day.

harleysmammy Wed 15-Mar-17 16:00:17

I have suspected gum disease because i bleed whenever I brush my teeth and have done for years. I brush my teeth after every meal, when i wake up and when i go to bed - oral hygiene is my thing haha. I was worried about pre term and low birth weight, but my im actually consultant led because my baby is 7lb at 33 weeks! I also had a scare last week when my waters broke early (wasnt anything to do with the gum disease, i have polyhydramnios and a huge baby thats why im more at risk of pre term labour) but i asked if it was because of possible gum disease and the consultant said theres a less than 1% chance gum disease will cause pre term laboursmile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now