Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

iron tablets in pregnancy

(10 Posts)
caz1967 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:22:14

My sons partner is newly pregnant, she is expecting twins and suffering with extreme fatigue. When I sked if taking iron tablets as her blood count could be low I was informed by my son that she was given zinc and told iron tablets are no longer given. I was gobsmacked I remembered how it had helped me and my blood count. Is this right ? when did this advice change?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 09-Mar-17 18:29:15

Iron tablets are still prescribed in pregnancy afaik. Most pregnancy multi vitamins contain iron, zinc, vitamin d & folic acid.

StillaChocoholic Thu 09-Mar-17 18:33:05

I've got low iron so have been prescribed iron tablets for the remainder of my pregnancy. They are definitely still prescribed.

ChicRock Thu 09-Mar-17 18:37:37

Iron tablets definitely are still prescribed.

There is a link between fatigue and zinc deficiency, presumably she's had blood tests and that's why it's been described rather than iron.

caz1967 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:42:03

thanks I expect your right...

caz1967 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:44:05

thank you I was automatically given at 16weeks... so it was a surprise to hear how it had changed

caz1967 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:44:53

cheers much appreciated

elliej83 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:46:17

I wasn't prescribed them when I was pregnant late last year. I didn't get on with them so I took spa tone x

greedygorb Thu 09-Mar-17 18:52:30

They tend to an iron test at 28 weeks along with the other stuff. That's when they'd get given if your iron was low. I should've probably been on them well before then as low iron made my bp horribly low. I know a GP who took them from about 12 weeks just as a precaution - but one every second day I think.

ChicRock Thu 09-Mar-17 19:26:14

Ah you meant iron tablets no longer issued as standard?

No, only if required, after a blood test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now