Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can a lot of stress hurt your baby?

(13 Posts)
Babyblues14 Thu 09-Mar-17 17:45:33

Ive recently had mine and my babys life threatened. The police have been contacted but the person has mental health issues and I am worried about him being released. He lives in the area where I work so there will be no avoiding him. Right now im off work with stress but im terrified of going back. I had my first scan a few days ago and everything was fine but im scared if I get too upset or stressed I will harm the baby. Can stress really do this?

Gingerbreadmam Thu 09-Mar-17 17:47:00

i wondered this, i had lots of stress in my last pregnancy but according to nhs site no it cant. hope you are ok.

ethelfleda Thu 09-Mar-17 17:50:31

I don't have a firm answer, just wanted to post to say hope you're OK x

PacificDogwod Thu 09-Mar-17 17:52:52

You and your baby will be fine. Honest.

What a horribly frightening thing to happen to you though thanks

Remind yourself that women have had babies all over the world under the worst of circumstances and that the odds are very heavily in your favour.
Don't stress yourself more by worrying if you can help it.

Babyblues14 Thu 09-Mar-17 17:54:46

thanks guys, they havent interviewed him yet so I still have no idea of what is happening, I just want my baby to be ok. First baby so I was already worrying about everything

BakerBear Thu 09-Mar-17 17:55:59

It can do. I do know of 2 people who have either miscarried or had a stillborn due to something tramatic happening to them (their partners cheated on them)

However many women go through an awful lot in pregnancy due to one thing and another and have healthy babies

PacificDogwod Thu 09-Mar-17 18:06:10

It can do. I do know of 2 people who have either miscarried or had a stillborn due to something tramatic happening to them (their partners cheated on them

Bollocks to that.
Do you know how many people have had something traumatic happen to them and have NOT miscarried??

The plural of anecdote does not data make.
Look up reporting bias.

Miscarriage is common (likely up to 1 in 3 pregnancies) and can happen under all sorts of circumstances.

nursebickypegs Thu 09-Mar-17 18:07:13

I work as a nurse and I was exceptionally stressed at work. I was signed off by my consultant as Bub has a heart condition, and I've had 2 miscarriages before. Bless you OP, take care of yourself xxx

BugPlaster Thu 09-Mar-17 18:12:11

I was worried about this, had lots of stress with second pregnancy including baby thought to be small. I gave birth to the happiest little boy (who was not small) so I can only assume he was not at all affected. He's nearly 3 and still has the very sunny disposition he was born with.

cocochanel21 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:15:07

I don't believe it does.
When I was pregnant with DD2 I was stressed from the very beginning. At 7mths Dd1 died suddenly. I couldn't eat,sleep spent most of the time in tears and lost alot of weight.
Dd2 was closely monitored and was born on her due date healthy.

OrangeJulius Thu 09-Mar-17 18:18:32

It potentially can: www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ice-storm-stress-affected-pregnant-women-s-offspring-study-suggests-1.2781661

There is a documentary on this study but I can't remember where I watched it. Anyway, your situation sounds awful and it's no surprise you're so stressed. Just do the best you can to take care of yourself, as said above loads of women are pregnant in stressful situations, you are hardly alone.

ReginaPhalange1 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:20:51

I have gone to see my midwife with anxiety and panic attacks - I am 20 weeks and it's all work related... have gone through it with her, she gave me advice and pointed me in the right direction.. and she says in her 30 years of service hasn't had a single case of stress related miscarriages.. she assured me it doesn't affect and babies are resilient and will be fine. But hey everyone is different and the only thing I'd say to you is to look after yourself
Congrats on the baby x

Freebreakfastforall Thu 09-Mar-17 18:52:26

Am so sorry coco. flowers
Hope you are okay OP.
When I was pregnant with my first I went through a huge amount of stress. Having just taken out a huge mortgage, my husband unexpectedly lost his job. My brother died. My friend who was expecting her baby same time as me lost her baby one week before her due date. I had so many other complications with my pregnancy. My son was born just fine. Guess what am trying to say is, everything will be okay and I know you can't help it but don't worry flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now