Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sickness record during pregnancy

(6 Posts)
Foncy87 Thu 09-Mar-17 16:06:09

Hi,

I work for the NHS and have had 2 previous episodes (2 days) of sickness in the past 12 months, prior to my pregnancy for cold/viruses. I have recently taken a day off work as I had a bad cold and as I couldn't take any medication apart from paracetamol and Vicks I felt dreadful and couldn't face work. My manager has put this down as 'normal' sickness, but I'm wondering whether this is unfair and it should go down as pregnancy related, as I'm sure I would have been up for work should I have been able to dose myself up with decongestants etc! As this is my third episode of sickness within 12 months I have to now have a formal first stage sickness review meeting sad! Any advise would be great! TIA X

MyMrKnightley Thu 09-Mar-17 16:19:10

How did you feel dreadful? exhaustion could be pregnancy related. Also doesn't pregnancy lower your immune system and therefore make you more prone to sickness.

Go into any review meeting with suggestions how it is linked to your pregnancy and I doubt they'll take it any further

If you are seeing your midwife soon maybe discuss it with them too.

PlayOnWurtz Thu 09-Mar-17 16:45:33

No not unfair it's a virus anyone could have I'm afraid

Foncy87 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:27:24

I had a bad cold, really tired and worn out. I also had a bit of spotting the evening before, so was really worrying about that! I didn't want to push myself by going to work. I'll mention this at my meeting next week.

Thanks for the advise! X

Lalalax3 Thu 09-Mar-17 21:13:18

Basically, and this is a little unethical I'm sure, I attributed all my work absence officially to 'pregnancy related' stuff, because I knew my bastard HR boss couldn't count it on my record.

SuziePink Thu 09-Mar-17 21:20:45

I think pretty much all sickness during pregnancy is supposed to be put down to the pregnancy, certainly where I work (which is part of the civil service) no sick leave is put on your record. These arbitrary rules are ridiculous, especially when people passing on viruses at work cost companies weeks in extra time off! See how it goes but if you're worried then contact your trade union or the CAB for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now