Talk

Advanced search

How to share the news

(6 Posts)
user1489062864 Thu 09-Mar-17 12:40:32

Hi all,

I would love some advice.

Here is a bit of background, my brother and sister in law have been married 3 years and have been trying ever since their wedding for children and it is yet to happen for them, and she is finding ttc very hard and draining.

My boyfriend and I were really excited to find out we are expecting and I am now 10 weeks along, but I am so scared and nervous to tell them that we are expecting, I just don't want to hurt them and I don't know how to tell them the news.

Has anyone got any advice on the best way to share the news with them?

Thank you.

ITGurl Thu 09-Mar-17 12:43:15

Text message would be my preferred way for that situation. Let them deal with it in private without you hearing their initial reaction.
Or, in my case, I was too chicken to phone so I left a voicemail when I knew they couldn't answer the phone leaving the news by voice but they didn't have to talk to me until they were ready.

2014newme Thu 09-Mar-17 12:44:40

Email. Not face to face. I have been on their position, it's hard.
You are very thoughtful to give it consideration 💐
Congratulations

OvariesForgotHerPassword Thu 09-Mar-17 12:49:42

Yep, tell them by text or email.

I got pregnant unexpectedly and in his panic then-BF (now DH) kind of blurted it out to them. Ideally we would have told BIL and SIL not face to face because it must have been difficult for them (they're older and have been trying for ages)

WaitingInAzkaban Thu 09-Mar-17 12:54:05

I'm on the opposite end of this and they told us through message which gave us time to deal with it privately else I'd have probably cried infront of them!
I know it's exciting for you but it can be heartbreaking on the other end so try and keep it considerate.

SallyInSweden Thu 09-Mar-17 12:59:45

I think by phone.

I also think that any disappointment you just have to shoulder as an immediate/authentic response. It doesn't mean that they wish YOU weren't pregnant, just that they were too.
I have been on the infertile side of this, and it is monumentally shit. But, this is your brother... be there for him in an adult and considerate way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now