Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thick tissue under armpit

(7 Posts)
Greylilypad Thu 09-Mar-17 11:01:38

Hi - just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.
I am 29 weeks pregnant.
I have noticed that I seem to have thickened tissue under my right armpit. Its not under the left.
It's not a lump, it's just like fatty thickened tissue.
Perhaps it is pregnancy related but am now concerned it could be something worse. My mum died from breast cancer so I suppose this is adding to my anxiety about this.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I've had swollen milk glands etc when I was breast-feeding my other children but that was more like small lumps, which were hard and sore. This is more like a softer mass of tissue and is not painful at all.
Any experience of something like this?Starting to feel really worried and will mention to doctor I think.

Lunalovepud Thu 09-Mar-17 11:46:42

It is probably just a cyst or something but definitely get it checked out with your GP sooner rather than later...

If it helps you to feel less anxious in the interim, pregnancy caused all sorts of craziness to happen to my armpits - after DC1 was born and my periods returned I had lumps appearing and disappearing every month - sometimes so painful I had to hold my arms out from my body... The same lumps would be completely painless for a couple of days and then turn sore.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Scotmum83 Thu 09-Mar-17 13:27:51

I had lumps in one breast after my first pregnancy once I stopped breastfeeding, I went straight to,GP and asked to be referred alothiugh she was pretty sure it would just be hormonal changes. My mum had breast cancer too so it makes you higher risk and you should be seen quite quickly. It's really best to get it checked it out.

anxiousandpregnant Thu 09-Mar-17 14:13:21

I have this, I went for an ultrasound scan and apparently its just thickened tissue, but I still worry they missed something (but im paranoid lol)

I would definitely get yourself seen by a GP given your family history, even if all it does is put your mind at rest.

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Thu 09-Mar-17 16:25:43

I have this but I had it checked by a GP about ten years ago. I was told your breast tissue can grow into the armpit area so when your breast tissue swells (pregnancy, prementrual etc) the tissue there will swell as well.

Greylilypad Thu 09-Mar-17 19:03:48

Thanks for your responses. I actually had a regular check up appointment with the obstetrician this afternoon. I asked him and he said more or less what you said Snoopy. That it's auxiliary (?) breast tissue, very common in pregnancy. He felt it quickly and said it was nothing worth about.

Still...feel a little concerned as my mum's breast cancer was inflammatory breast cancer which presented as swollen breast tissue under her arm (no lump).
I am going to ask my GP anyway .

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Thu 09-Mar-17 19:19:30

Sorry to hear about your mum. Definitely worth getting a second opinion, if anything just to put your mind at rest. There's enough to be worried about already when you're pregnant without that hanging over you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now