Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The recommended alcohol limit during pregnancy...

(33 Posts)
BeanBabies Wed 08-Mar-17 15:23:25

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/alcohol-medicines-drugs-pregnant.aspx

Have you drank during your pregnancy? I did accidentally the day before we found out - in Paris I had two or three glasses of wine. I was about 3-4 weeks at the time.

I accidentally had a non-virgin Bloody Mary when a bar tender messed up and I took a huge gulp.

Anyone else? I wish I could have some wine but I'm too scared!

MaudGonneMad Wed 08-Mar-17 15:26:53

Have some wine, if you want. The odd glass here and there won't do you or your baby any harm.

I had a couple of glasses in the second and third trimester smile

TiltedNewt Wed 08-Mar-17 15:30:48

Yep. Had a glass of wine the other night. Because I felt like it. shock

StillaChocoholic Wed 08-Mar-17 15:38:42

I had a teeny bit of prosseco with orange juice at Christmas but that's it.
Did tell my husband last night that we need to get a small bottle of wine for me for after baby is born, he tried to tell me no cos I'll be breastfeeding and got a swift fuck off.

mistermagpie Wed 08-Mar-17 15:42:57

I posted about this at Christmas because I fancied a drink with my Christmas dinner. I didn't have one in the end and haven't had any alcohol at all during this pregnancy or my last one. Well, in my last one I drank loads the weekend before I found out because we were on holiday, but never after I knew.

starsinyourpies Wed 08-Mar-17 15:49:44

Yes. Read this book, very useful at sharing the research or lack of on the recommendations for pregnancy.

Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong and What You Really Need to Know https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1409152065/ref=cmswrcpapi_BFcWyb6X47HY5

starsinyourpies Wed 08-Mar-17 15:50:43

Sorry corrected link:

Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong and What You Really Need to Know https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1409152065/ref=cmswrcpapi_BFcWyb6X47HY5

starsinyourpies Wed 08-Mar-17 15:51:30

Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong and What You Really Need to Know https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1409152065/ref=cmsww_rcpp_api_BFcWyb6X47HY5

Bethany0903 Wed 08-Mar-17 16:27:38

It's my 21st tomorrow and I'm defo having a little glass of wine to celebrate I'll be 30 weeks smile

ILikeSalmon Wed 08-Mar-17 16:34:39

I haven't touched a drop with all 3 pregnancies

Not coz I'm some kind of hero

And not coz I'm a fanny who thinks one glass will harm a baby

But coz I am an aaaall or nothing kinda gal. Can't have one drink. Need to binge and get steaming drunk.

I haven't drank since July

Sparklyuggs Wed 08-Mar-17 16:57:23

I read Expecting Better and it's very interesting. NHS used to say 1-2 units a week in pregnancy, but it's much easier to say none, and for obvious reasons no one wants to test the safe limits of alcohol.

I'm not a big drinker anyway and have had no desire to drink since finding out I'm pg, although I had a G&T the night before my BFP. I'm planning on having a glass of champagne in the lounge when I go on holiday next month though!

BeanBabies Wed 08-Mar-17 18:26:55

With the positivity from this post, I treated myself to a glass of Rosé. Because I haven't had any alcohol in so long, I got giggly and warm in the face. It's already passed, but it was very much enjoyed! I doubt I'll do it again this month, but a glass once a month seems fine to me with all the info I read on this topic (thanks everyone)!

DuRezidal Wed 08-Mar-17 19:13:24

With my previous pregnancy I was very very drunk in London on a friends hen party the day before I found out and this time I was doing far too many shots apres skiing in Switzerland. It must be a bit of a theme for me 😜

I have just bought myself some alcohol free gin so I am most excited!

ememem84 Wed 08-Mar-17 19:27:33

Went to my first midwife apt today and she told me no alcohol during pregnancy. Mostly because of fetal alcohol syndrome. And if they tell people one or two glasses and then they overdo it they could sue.

So it's because we're a litigious society.

She said if I fancied a small wine have one.

I'm 10 weeks and have had a wine and a champagne since knowing that I'm pg.

The week before I found out it was a very boozy one.....

Lules Wed 08-Mar-17 19:30:45

I haven't had any in this pregnancy because I've been very sick. I did drink small amounts occasionally in my first one.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 08-Mar-17 19:38:15

Under the old guidelines I had a unit once or twice a week through both pregnancies and my DC are both totally fine. However it's hard to say because everyone is different and because it can be hard to stop at one tiny drink. The lack of research is a real problem but also most research there is relies on self-reporting alcohol consumption which is notoriously unreliable. Hopefully the new study looking at levels of alcohol metabolites in meconium that began recently might eventually get some more solid data for people to go on. It's long over-due.

TiltedNewt Wed 08-Mar-17 19:48:19

alcohol free gin

Wha..?

SuziePink Wed 08-Mar-17 19:50:28

I had a few homemade (generous) cocktails at New Years (before I found out) but I suffer so badly from stomach issues I'm violently sick all the next day after a boozy night out which has rather put me off drinking recently! I've had literally a few sips since then, mostly when someone I'm with has been having a particularly good or interesting glass of wine or beer but that must be much less than a tenth of a unit at a time so not really a problem in my view.

Lunalovepud Wed 08-Mar-17 19:58:24

ILikeSalmon I am exactly the same! I have never been the kind of person to just have one glass... wink

When DC1 was born, DH gave me a glass of prosecco to celebrate... DC was about 3 weeks old at the time. I was completely plastered. AFTER ONE GLASS! It was ace.

Can't wait to have a nice celebratory glass of something to celebrate the safe arrival of DC2 this summer! grin

DuRezidal Wed 08-Mar-17 20:05:08

It's called Seedlip... very excited as I am dying for a gin!!!

troodiedoo Wed 08-Mar-17 21:00:28

I've had one or two glasses of wine once or twice a week for most of my pregnancy after 12 weeks. There is no evidence to suggest that light or moderate drinking in pregnancy is harmful.

mswales Mon 13-Mar-17 18:45:39

Seconding what troodiedoo says - there is no evidence that moderate drinking in pregnancy harms your baby - in fact there is plenty of credible evidence that it does not harm your baby, as laid out by Emily Oster in her book mentioned by Starsinyourpies. Since starting second trimester I've had one small glass of wine or a beer in the evening whenever I feel like it, which admittedly isn't that often. But at least once a week. Credible studies (as opposed to the plenty of rubbish ones) collated by Oster suggest one small drink a day is fine in second and third trimesters.

theclick Mon 13-Mar-17 18:54:38

I drank before I found out. A G&T, a small glass of wine on v-day. Had no idea I was about to get a BFP!

DuRezidal Mon 13-Mar-17 18:58:11

Haha last pregnancy I was absolutely smashed on G&T in London as I was on a friends hen do. It was a very heavy weekend and I found out I was pregnant on the Monday.

This pregnancy I had a big week drinking while skiing and then came home on the Sunday and did a test as my AF hadn't arrived!

notanothernamechangebabes Mon 13-Mar-17 19:02:36

I had a glass of wine once a week ish while i was in the second and third trimesters.... didn't worry about it too much really. Also have a glass of wine with dinner now I'm bfing most nights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now