Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

obstetric cholestasis - help?

(7 Posts)
Eharc19 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:36:31

Hi All

Last Friday at 32 weeks, I was diagnosed with Obstetric Cholestasis. I went to my day unit with itching and dark urine, and after blood tests my ALT's were raised to 125, but thankfully my liver bile was normal at 4. I was out on a drug called Urso, plus Piriton for the itching, which both seem to be helping.

I was due to have a c section at 38 weeks 2 days as I have muscular dystrophy and the consultants think I would tire to easy giving birth naturally. This has now been moved to 37 weeks 3 days due to the small increased risk of stillbirth (i hate saying this) with obstetric cholestasis. I will be having steroid injections to mature baby's lungs even though I'm full term, which I am a little confused about?

Has anyone got any experience with obstetric cholestasis and c sections? I'd love to hear some stories.

Thank you.

StarUtopia Wed 08-Mar-17 10:39:43

Yes and yes. Although I am also confused as to why they're giving steroid injections?? I had my first at 36 weeks with OC and no steroid injections. Obviously differs depending which health authority you are in. Personally I wouldn't have liked that.

Honestly. TBH having OC made no difference, other than I was taking the Urso as you are. I was just pleased to get the baby out early.

Eharc19 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:47:03

Thanks StarUtopia.

Was the reason you had your baby at 36 weeks due to the authority you are in? My hospital (St Marys in Manchester) seemed really adamant that 38 weeks with OC would be fine - it was me who pushed for 37 weeks. Settled at 37+3.

steppemum Wed 08-Mar-17 10:47:21

I had OC with my second and was induced at 38 weeks.
The increased risk is very small, and only kicks in in the very last couple of weeks, so if you are having a c- section at 37+3, you shoudl be fine.

The baby is unaffected after birth, and as soon as the baby is out, you are fine and the symptoms stop.

Please don't worry, they have diagnosed you which is the main thing, as people still don't think the itching is worth mentioning.

Eharc19 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:50:22

Thanks steppemum. Looking forward to the itching ending! I know they say to avoid it, but Dr. Google helped me figure out what the itching was, as I'd never heard of OC! So it's a good job I checked as I'd have never thought itching could be so serious.

lougle Wed 08-Mar-17 11:09:45

I think they'll give you the steroids to mature your baby's lungs because they are delivering by C-Section. So although you are technically 'term', if you were giving birth vaginally, the process of squeezing down the birth canal would help to push the fluid out of the baby's lungs in readiness for them to be filled with air instead of amniotic fluid. At 37 weeks, baby's lungs aren't as developed as they are at 40 weeks (naturally) and if they deliver by C-section, they are simply removing the baby from your womb before you have any contractions at all. This can result in the baby having slightly 'wet' lungs and getting some respiratory difficulties. The steroids are the most effective way to try and avoid that.

Eharc19 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:26:00

Thanks lougle, that makes a lot of sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now