Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Having a MRI

(17 Posts)
AnaMaria88 Tue 07-Mar-17 23:46:19

I m having a fetal MRI on Thursday and I am terrified, anyone been through this? What to expect! Also scared that i read that is the baby is to active they will give me diazepam, this doesnt affects driving as I have a long drive from the hospital (Kings College London) to Grays and later on Grays to home, in Brighton!

nursebickypegs Tue 07-Mar-17 23:55:29

I was an MRI tech before I was a nurse, we rarely did these by the results were incredible. Have you had an MRI before?

AnaMaria88 Tue 07-Mar-17 23:59:18

Nope, is the first time! I dont know how to explain my feeling, I always done and will do anything for my health or my kids health, maybe I am just anxious, been through so many lately with this pregnancy, I would do anything just to know everything is ok

nursebickypegs Wed 08-Mar-17 00:08:55

Okay. First of all you will be asked to fill in a questionnaire. 20 or so questions like, do you have a pacemaker, tattoos, clips that can't be removed etc. It's just so they know what metal could be in you and not scan you if needs be.

You will be taken through, and you get changed into a very sexy hospital gown. Remove all your jewellery, hair bands, clips and your bra. Keep on your knickers!

The tech will take you through, and position you on the couch. Depending on the machine, they will place a "coil" across your tummy; this is essentially a huge bit of plastic which helps conduct a better image with the magnets.

You will be made comfortable with cushions and wedges, and given headphones. Sometimes you get music! You will be given a call bell, which you can press if you have had enough/scared/uncomfortable.

I think you will go in feet first, so your head will be out. It's best to turn your head to the side, as you can see better and it's less scary if you don't like enclosed spaces. Keep your arms down your sides, it's much more comfortable than having them above your head.

The tech will go in the booth, turn the mic on and talk. The scan will start. When you hear the sound, that's when we are taking images. When it stops, you can wiggle, scratch your nose etc.

If your baby is moving a lot, we may give you diazapem. This might be via Injection into your vein, or orally. TBH we never did that, the baby often stayed still or if it did move, it wasn't too much of a problem or made a mess of the scan. We just repeated that frame. If the diazapem does make you drowsy and sleepy for around 2-4hrs afterwards. We use to give a 2mg dose of it which is tiny.

It usually took 30mins, and often people would fall asleep. If you're anxious, you can take someone in with you or have the healthcare to hold your hand/shoulder. Obviously you can't talk as it's so noisy.

I hope this helps!

AnaMaria88 Wed 08-Mar-17 00:13:36

Uh, it does! Thank you! On all the scans I had the baby was so active that was almost imposible to get right measurments! Can I ask you one more thing? How accurate is an MRI at 24 weeks pregnant? Being told by a doc that it my not be that accurate and should ask another one by 32w

AnaMaria88 Wed 08-Mar-17 00:15:37

Didnt mentioned, the MRI is due to HC under 3rd percentile

nursebickypegs Wed 08-Mar-17 00:27:57

If it's not accurate, it means the baby is moving too much. The MRI scans from top down, side to side... there isn't a bit missed! I'd ask for one at 32 weeks as well, just so you can see them again! We use to give a disc with a few pictures on it, it's absolutely unbelievable. Best of luck, let us know how you get on. I loved doing these scans!

AnaMaria88 Wed 08-Mar-17 00:36:05

I bet you do, in my position I'll soon hate having an ultrasound! I am so confused because after the MRI I ll have another scan in two weeks time when they will also tell me the MRI results and after that I think I want to be discharged from Kings College and go back to my local hospital as the last 4 weeks have been a nightmare for us, so stressfull! I wasnt even sure about having this MRI as no matter what, I am keeping this baby! Am I BU thinking that the best thing is to wait for the baby to get born? The wait and the long trips to London are killing me, just want to stop this and enjoy my pregnancy, am I being selfish? Or foolish to think that in the end the baby will be born healthy? confused

nursebickypegs Wed 08-Mar-17 00:44:21

I'm pregnant too and my baby has a heart condition. I know exactly what you mean, we have to drive 60mins there and 60mins back to our consultant every 2 weeks and it's so stressful. They can't even do anything about it until he's born!

What is plan for you with the MRI? Will it help then decide how best to treat you now or when baby is here?

MRI has no side effects like an X-ray or CT, it's just really noisy. Back in the early 2000s we would warn against hearing but after research, it was only for 30mins and the baby is nicely covered.

AnaMaria88 Wed 08-Mar-17 00:52:07

There is no treatment now or after as the baby is suspected of microcephaly! Well after all the tests results came back fine( I had amnio at 20w) the MRI is to show if there is any brain damage so will know what to expect! I choosed to have it for two reason 1 because I m hoping the baby is fine and he is just measurring small and this will stop all the stress in the pregnancy and 2 as someone adviced me, maybe is not microcephaly but other condition that can be treated as soon as the baby is born so is better to know what to expect! I am sorry to hear about your baby, bless you both and I really hope that everything will be fine in the end

Burntbum Wed 08-Mar-17 00:54:32

Sorry you are going through such a stressful time. Having an MRI is fine. I had one when I was about 25 weeks pregnant. I did feel a little uncomfortable being on my back but I actually fell asleep and they had to wake me up at the end. The pictures are amazing and all the midwives on the ward wanted to look at them. I hope all is well with your baby.

AnaMaria88 Wed 08-Mar-17 01:00:48

Do I get the pictures right after the scan? Will they tell me anything regarding the scan? My consultant said they wont amd we ll get the results in 2 weeks

nursebickypegs Wed 08-Mar-17 09:40:45

You won't get the results on the day as it's just a tech and a radiographer, they aren't permitted to give out results. Consultant will give you those. Hopefully you will! We use to.

AnaMaria88 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:18:42

Just came back from the MRI, was better than expected, the consultant said is going to take about 20 min, but I was out after 10-15 min! By your experience is a good or bad sign that they finished so quick?

Littlebelina Thu 09-Mar-17 18:02:39

Probably just means your baby was nice and still for them so they got their pic quickly. I've got one in a month (heart issues) and they said up to an hour incase baby is moving

nursebickypegs Thu 09-Mar-17 18:09:41

They will have got the pictures they want! smile

AnaMaria88 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:18:51

First time when he was with the head up ☺ now all I have to do is to wait for the results

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now