Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When do you tell your other children that they will soon be a big brother / sister

(8 Posts)
DuRezidal Tue 07-Mar-17 19:04:09

I have just found out that I am pregnant (very early as only 4 weeks) and I have no idea how we are going to tell our 5 year old daughter that she is going to be a big sister.

Does anyone have any suggestions of ways we could do it?

She has been desperate to be a big sister, she is going to be so excited!

Lilaclily Tue 07-Mar-17 19:05:30

I think we told everyone after the 12 week scan

We got a couple of books out of the library too, one was called spots little sister and the other one A Special Something

Lilaclily Tue 07-Mar-17 19:06:49

This one smile

www.amazon.co.uk/Special-Something-Jan-Fearnley/dp/0749746394/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488913577&sr=1-7&keywords=Special+something&tag=mumsnetforum-21

highinthesky Tue 07-Mar-17 19:10:54

I'd wait until she notices the bump, probably after the 20wk scan so you can show her a better pic.

McBaby Tue 07-Mar-17 19:13:44

After 12 week scan they were beginning to get worried why I was being sick constantly or we may have left it a little longer.

I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks a couple of months before so I was glad then we hadn't told them.

They are so excited about having a new sibling now only a few weeks to go.

PurpleTraitor Tue 07-Mar-17 19:21:06

Well, I tried to wait until I was 'sure' so I waited until after all my first trimester scans and tests, I had extra scans so I got a good pic at 16 weeks, gave it to kids and let them tell everyone else. Miscarried a few weeks later, so taught them all about the fragility of life and practicalities/realities of miscarriages. After that I didn't see the need to wait for 'surety' so when I was pregnant again they knew straight away.

I'm not sure there is a right time, kids are resilient. But it's a long time to wait for the actual baby when you are only five, so bear that in mind.

vfoster Tue 07-Mar-17 19:34:10

I told my 3 1/2 year old on Christmas Eve. We had all of our immediate family around the tree and I gave her a gift and told her it was from her baby brother or sister. Was easier to tell everyone at once.
I was only 11 weeks pregnant and with hindsight I realised it would have been hard to tell her if anything had happened. I wasn't going to tell her so early and then heard of someone who lost a baby at 36 weeks. Made me think that things like that can happen at any point so we went ahead at Christmas.

DuRezidal Tue 07-Mar-17 21:03:44

Thanks everyone... I don't think you can ever be 100% confident. My SIL had a late miscarriage at 20 weeks. They took their daughter to the scan because she was desperate to see her new baby brother or sister and that was when they discovered there was no heartbeat!

I want to tell her in a special eat because she has been asking me for a baby sister or brother for quite a few months now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now