Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy.. health related

(6 Posts)
QueenInsomnia Tue 07-Mar-17 15:20:36

Hope it's ok I've posted in the pregnancy section, as I couldn't find a suitable section within the health topic. Sorry if it's a tad long!

I am currently 13 weeks pregnant. For the last week I have started to feel dizzy often. Twice when I have been driving I've had to pull over straight away because the dizziness is so bad I feel I am going to faint. I have now stopped driving until the cause is known. I find myself isolated at home with my toddler as I cannot bare leaving the house in fear of fainting (I haven't yet fainted but felt very close to at points). I am feeling dizzy several times a day though.

I have told to midwife, who did my routine bloods and I'm awaiting a phone call back from her for the results. Blood pressure is fine, has been checked 3 times since I reported the issue. I've also spoke to my doctor on the phone who has requested my thyroid to be looked at, which isn't until next week (I have an ongoing thyroid condition).

Not sure if related but I also have been feeling hot, had trouble catching my breath, feeling extremely tired like I need to sleep 24/7, having trouble waking up in the morning, sore eyes (I wear glasses for watching tv, reading and driving as I have poor blurred vision anyways!) and occasional hot sweats. I am struggling to eat meals, as I get a full feeling really quick, but guessing that could be due to the increased amount of wind? blush

I was told several years ago that I have mild asthma, and I take the blue inhaler when needed (although that isn't often). I haven't had an asthma check in years, so I will arrange for that to done as I know it can worsen with pregnancy.

Any idea what could be causing this? Has anyone else had these symptoms and what was the outcome? I can't cope with feeling like this daily anymore, especially the dizziness. I'm still so early into my pregnancy at 13 weeks, and fear the rest of my pregnancy will be a complete nightmare if it continues or worsens.

Thank you for reading

arbrighton Tue 07-Mar-17 15:37:41

Tiredness and dizziness are fairly standard pregnancy symptoms I'm afraid.

I've felt less tired through 2nd trimester, as long as I don't over do it.

AmyB1986 Tue 07-Mar-17 15:49:00

Has the dr tested your iron levels? What you have described, adding the shortness of breath can indicate anemia!

I hope you feel better soon

Sparklyuggs Tue 07-Mar-17 16:10:18

Please go to the doctor and get them to run blood tests. It might be pregnancy, anaemia or something else. I'm the latter and finally got a diagnosis for the dizzy spells I have been having for years, which worsened during pregnancy.

QueenInsomnia Tue 07-Mar-17 16:33:03

Thanks for the replies everyone, I do appreciate it.
My midwife did my bloods on Wednesday, and tested my iron levels as her first concern was anemia. She said if there were any problems she'd call me as soon as they came through, and I haven't heard from her. I will call them tomorrow just in case (allowing a week!).
I did get really bad dizzy spells as a child, resulting in fainting, and they never found the cause but I eventually 'grew out of it'. I'm guessing it may just be that coming back if my iron levels come back ok? confused
It's a very scary situation leaving the house worrying it may happen in public, with my toddler, being alone.
Thanks again everyone x

Sparklyuggs Tue 07-Mar-17 17:05:11

I'm being investigated for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and Vitamin B12 deficiency, both of which can cause fainting. The B12 deficiency is sometimes caused by pernicious anaemia or folate deficiency anaemia so wouldn't be identified in the routine anaemia test. These aren't very common, I know a huge number of women get the iron related anaemia in pregnancy; but just some examples of less common conditions which can cause fainting, fatigue and lethargy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now