Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ranitidine and iron tablets?

(6 Posts)
JJ1612 Tue 07-Mar-17 11:30:47

I have been prescribed ranitidine for heartburn by my GP due to raging heartburn that is causing me to vomit. He noticed I was on iron tablets which he told me to stop taking as they can make you feel worse (especially the ones that I'm on) and anti acids can actually stop you absorbing the iron anyway.

The midwife redid my blood test to recheck my iron levels and i had an answerphone message saying I need to take the iron still.

I'm a bit confused as what to do? Anyone else been in a similar situation???

ILikeSalmon Tue 07-Mar-17 13:09:47

I was prescribed ranitidine and it was crap. Didn't make any difference whatsoever.
So I'm back on the gaviscon advanced

mistermagpie Tue 07-Mar-17 13:15:46

Ranitidine is a lifesaver for me while Gaviscon did nothing, so I guess at depends on the person! I wouldn't personally want to stop the ranitidine myself OP, would you be able to look at getting more iron via your diet?

JJ1612 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:53:43

I'm pretty good diet wise but food doesn't really stay down for long. Gaviscon/rennies are a no no too as they don't stay down either. I've tried to get hold of the midwife/GP but no joy so will just try and space them out as much as I can.

ClarkWGriswold Tue 07-Mar-17 14:06:10

I took renatidine and iron when I was pregnant with my second DD. My consultant prescribed both to me. I wasn't aware that you couldn't take both. Maybe there is a different iron tablet they can prescribe?

PinkUnicorn1990 Tue 07-Mar-17 14:13:52

I am on omeprazole (rather than ranitidine) and taking iron. I just got told to take them at different times as the omeprazole can affect the absorption of the iron (and any other tablets too)
Speak to your pharmacist or midwife they'll be able to let you know any interactions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now