Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby name

(7 Posts)
T8813 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:45:22

Hi everyone first post hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My husband wants to name our first child after his uncle who was killed. I understood that the name means a lot to him but I really don't want to call my child that name and always remember my husband's uncle. I also don't like the name as it is too similar to my own. I don't know what to do I just feel that my child will be replacing his uncle whom neither me or my husband ever had the chance to meet. I'm really worried as we decided not to find out the gender of the baby a few weeks ago. I have tried explaining how I feel to him but he keeps saying that is the only name he wants if it's a boy. I have said that I'm not happy with that name. We are kind of avoiding the subject atm. I'm worried that it will cause arguments when the baby is born and my in law's will also be pushing for that name.

NapQueen Mon 06-Mar-17 21:46:13

I would compromise and have it as a middle name.

T8813 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:53:06

Thank you for responding NapQueen. I have suggested this before but he doesn't want it as a middle name.sad

user1480264544 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:55:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1480264544 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:57:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ILikeSalmon Mon 06-Mar-17 22:40:15

I would say to my OH it's tough shit. We have to agree on a name we both like.
If he really wants to honour his uncle and you are happy for this then middle name it is.

calimommy Tue 07-Mar-17 04:27:01

Listen, when I was pregnant with DS1y DHs father had an accident and was in intensive care, looked like he wouldn't pull through, my DH never cries but he got a bit teary one night and said that if he dad passed he wanted to call the baby (if it was a boy) after his dad. I looked him in the eye and said "absolutely not. That's a horrendous name. No chance. Sorry buddy."

He had to laugh at me after the initial shock. There was no way I wanted to call my child that name. I had no problem with it as a middle name but not a first name. Your so never even met his uncle? I'm thinking tough shit buddy, no game ball. It's a big deal, you BOTH need to agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now