Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity pay in the NHS.

(6 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:23:54

Hello everyone, just after some advice regarding maternity pay in the NHS.

I thought maternity pay was based on your annual basic wage (I.e whichever pay scale you are on) but my colleague told me she thought your maternity pay took into account your nights, weekends and unsociable hours etc and I'm confused as to how it works to be honest?

Me and DH are trying to plan/budget for my maternity leave but it's hard because I don't know how much I'm going to get.

When I had my DS I worked Mon-Fri 9-5 so my monthly pay was the same each month but in my current job, depending on my shifts my take home pay can range from anywhere between £1700-£2100 so how will my maternity pay be decided?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.

sweetchilli77 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:31:48

what band are you?

elpinguino Mon 06-Mar-17 13:32:28

Hi, your maternity pay will be based on your monthly pay in the "qualifying period" which is the two payslips before you are 26 weeks - for me (due September), this will be April and may's payslips. (8 weeks if you're paid weekly). So whatever unsocial hours etc you are paid for in your qualifying pay, will calculate your mat pay. Some people take advantage of this by doing lots of extra hours in the run up to the qualifying period, as you effectively get paid for it twice. Obviously how you feel about that morally is up to you, and also depends how hard you'll find it working extra when you're pregnant.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:36:19

I'm on the top pay band of Band 5.

I'm 16+1 - baby is due 20th of August.

It will be a nightmare then if my maternity pay is going to be based on March and April's pay slips as I'm doing no unsociable hours or weekends for 6 weeks out of the 8 weeks. Shit sad

sweetchilli77 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:38:10

ive worked for the NHS for a while, this is what i was sent
If you have 12 months continuous NHS service (without a break in service of 3 calendar months or more) 11 weeks before the expected birth of your baby and you intend to return to work. Please complete Section D of the application form.

You will be entitled to:

39 weeks paid leave, which will consist of:

- 8 weeks at full pay (less any SMP)

- 18 weeks at ½ pay plus any SMP
(providing the total receivable does not exceed full pay)
13 weeks Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) at the lower rate

Additional unpaid leave which including the period of paid maternity leave provides for an entitlement of up to 52 weeks absence.

Annual leave will continue to accrue during maternity leave whether paid or unpaid, but not Bank holidays.

sweetchilli77 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:38:38

I'm top band 5 also

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now