Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Transverse baby right under my ribs - help!

(7 Posts)
Cuppaqueen Mon 06-Mar-17 12:55:09

Just looking for any tips/advice really from anyone who's been in this position.

I'm 34 weeks and a scan showed my baby is transverse footling - his head is under my right rib cage, body lying sideways across my belly with his butt on my left side and arms/ legs hanging down towards my cervix. I say hanging down, but in fact he's merrily punching and kicking my bladder, ouch shock

The worst thing is the rib pain though - it's like permanent heartburn just in one place. I've extended the backs of my already massive maternity bras and still can't get through a whole day wearing one before the pain gets too much. I'm trying some Spinning Babies exercises to turn him but he seems firmly wedged!

Any ideas how I can move him down a bit or at least find a comfy way to sit?

user1480264544 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:00:57

I had exactly this with my little one and unfortunately I just had to wait for her to move and she did .. in her own time 🙁 I hope you find some relief but in my experience he will most likely move when his ready x

Cuppaqueen Mon 06-Mar-17 13:08:27

Thanks user - do you remember when she moved for you? (Give me hope ... wink)

user1480264544 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:13:46

Around about 35 weeks maybe 36 .. she was then engaged and in a great position for weeks .. then went back to back on the day I went into labour! So they like to keep us on our toes 🙈 X

Bear2014 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:21:07

Oh OP, you have my utmost sympathies! My DD was in this exact position from 33 ish weeks right until the bitter end (sorry), when she was 9lb 3 and her giant head was squashing my stomach to the point that I could barely eat and existed on small sips of thick milkshakes.

All the things I tried: crawling around the flat on all fours for hours, watching TV with my feet on the sofa and my hands on the floor, moxibustion (two sessions done by an acupuncturist), swimming, doing hand stands on the floor of the swimming pool.

At work I was able to obtain one of those stool chairs that you rest your knees behind you, this helped me to keep a longer torso and better posture. Get your MW to prescribe something strong for heartburn like Ranitidine (sp?) and if the rib pain gets too much you can take paracetamol of course.

Good luck and I really hope he moves!!

Jellybean81 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:57:39

Have a go at a belly dancing session on You Tube. Particularly the camel walk with the hip drop actually any dancing is meant to be good. May also be worth looking for someone who does rebozo- some Midwives do it. Also worth taking a look at the spinning babies website for more ideas

Cuppaqueen Tue 07-Mar-17 06:14:24

Thanks for the advice (and sympathy!) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now