Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Opposite of gestational diabetes??

(7 Posts)
luciemk Sun 05-Mar-17 10:35:55

Does anyone know what it means if blood sugar levels after the GTT are very low??

I have had a previous big baby and so was given the full test despite not having other signs of diabetes or being over the age limit.

My fasting blood sugar was 4.1. After 1 hour it was 4.2. After two hours it was 3.1, which seems very low to me (from random Googling). Anyway, isn't it is supposed to be higher after you've had the glucose drink than after the overnight fast?? Midwife said there was no value that was 'too low', but I feel as if I have some sort of blood sugar problem in this pregnancy, and so was actually assuming I probably did have gestational diabetes! After the test I felt like I often do: shaky, dizzy, sweaty and very very weak. Is this because blood sugar too low?

If so should I be worried or is there anything I should be doing? If I do any exercise at all (e.g. yoga class, gentle one mile walk) problem gets especially noticeable. Thanks all!

haveacupoftea Sun 05-Mar-17 14:44:27

I would be a bit worried about this - I have GD and my targets are always 4 and above. I think you should discuss it with your GP.

drinkyourmilk Sun 05-Mar-17 15:24:16

Yes those numbers would concern me. Under 4 is a hypo if you have GD. I'd speak with your GP.

luciemk Sun 05-Mar-17 18:08:06

Thank you. I will raise it with the GP when I am next in. Only have eight weeks of pregnancy left to go though, and don't think it's a problem when I'm not pregnant, so am curious how best to manage it now? Should I try to emphasise protein, complex carbs etc and avoid sugars like someone with gestational diabetes, to keep blood sugar stable?

I am already eating pretty often but find that certain 'normal' meals (like muesli with full fat milk, my non-pregnant breakfast£ can make me feel pretty weird afterwards as if sugar out of whack. Was honestly expecting to find I did have gestational diabetes, especially as baby also seems big. But confused about whether this is a variant of it or sort of the opposite?!

Hedgehog80 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:22:15

Yes, 3.1 is too low.
I have something called reactive hypoglycaemia (I check my blood sugar with dd2s meter as she has type 1). What I always thought was panic attacks was actually low blood sugar. Ds2 seems to have the same as me had a 2.4 the other mornignwhich was scary
Maybe get a meter they are about £15 in boots and check yourself when you feel shaky and unwell and then tell the midwife it keeps happening

Hedgehog80 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:23:58

Would be a good idea to carry some glucose tablets with you for when you feel unwell. They raise bg quickly and are also handy for labour smile

haveacupoftea Mon 06-Mar-17 00:39:21

Well the thing about GD is you can try to control it with diet but really its affected by hormones so most people need very close monitoring and medication because even a perfect diet can makes your bloods go skew whiff! So I really think proper medical advice is needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now