Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I use out of date glycerin suppositories?

(13 Posts)
Lucinda15 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:12:09

Fed up with constipation, desperate for some relief this eve. Found some glycerine suppositories in the bathroom cabinet but they expired Feb 2016. Is it ok to use them??

AndHoldTheBun Fri 03-Mar-17 20:26:31

Dr DH says they'd be fine for several years past the date smile

doodledragon Fri 03-Mar-17 20:31:24

How pregnant are you? I was told by an over zealous pharmacist they can bring on contraptions. They did with me but I was on the way to hospital at two weeks over due to be induced- so who knows if it was them but it didn't matter anyway!

They're bloody good though!

Lucinda15 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:31:36

Wonderful!! Thank you so much Mr/Dr andholdthebun!! I'm so uncomfortable I need to get something moving tonight, but have been so unsure whether I shd use them. Been staring at the box longingly for the last hour.... the things pregnancy does to us!! Xx

doodledragon Fri 03-Mar-17 20:32:27

Basically the pharmacist refused to sell me them due to bumpage.

Lucinda15 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:37:13

Oh bugger. I've already used one.... shock

Worried....

SloanyAnne Fri 03-Mar-17 20:39:36

Did the pharmacist specify which contraptions you'd be in danger of bringing on? Some of them contraptions might be useful.smile

SloanyAnne Fri 03-Mar-17 20:41:12

Seriously though, best check they're safe in pregnancy. They can really get things moving bowel wise.

Lucinda15 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:48:16

Well, it didn't take long 😳 Hasn't moved mountains but enough for me to feel a lot more comfortable and hopefully I can rely on dried apricots from here on in! Thanks ladies (I will check with gp that these bad boys are safe to use before I try again!) x

weasle Fri 03-Mar-17 21:11:01

Try Fybogel. Drink with lots of water. It works well and safe for pg

Lucinda15 Fri 03-Mar-17 21:14:41

Thanks weasel, fybogel is my usual 'go-to' but felt there was a...ahem...blockage that needed shifting from the other end 😳 🙈

I've been managing the constipation well so far, loads of fruit and veg, bowl of fibre cereal every day and lots of water. But had a bad diet over the last week after missing the usual supermarket shop at the wknd, cupboards ran bare and I've not had enough fibre/fruit and perhaps too many treats! it's really had a drastic effect on my bowels!! I think I'm on the mend now tho x

BagelDog Fri 03-Mar-17 21:16:29

Fybogel or lactulose taken regularly is great to keep the problem at bay. And drink an unreadable amount of water. Some serious stimulant laxatives are prob a bad idea in pregnancy - castor oil definitely can bring on labour but it has a pretty violent action! Glycerin supps are stimulant but only act very locally at the rectum and low sigmoid so should be fine. Definitely dole them out in antenatal clinic for those suffering.

booox Sat 04-Mar-17 09:58:03

Good to know Bagel!

Glad you're feeling better op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now