We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feel robbed with an anterior placenta :(

(47 Posts)
millyhopemum Fri 03-Mar-17 16:46:21

Hi ladies,

I was just hoping some mums with anterior placentas could give me their experience with fetal movements?

I had my 20 week scan today (I'm 19+6) and although I found out I'm going to have a lovely and healthy little boy I can't help but feel disheartend and robbed that I won't feel all the lovely movements most mums talk about.

I don't believe I've felt him at all yet and I'm scared that I won't fully feel him kick and punch later on.

It worries me more that with the placenta muffling everything I won't be able to realize any reduced fetal movements.

It's really upset me on such a wonderful day.

Any advice or experiences would be great xx

ButtfaceMiscreant Fri 03-Mar-17 16:49:33

My DC1 was anterior placenta and from 20 weeks onwards I felt lots of kicks (could see limbs protruding too) so don't worry. And if like me you get reduced movements don't let them fob you off that "anterior placenta could be hiding the movements" as I could feel DC loads so knew when I wasn't feeling them.

PersisFord Fri 03-Mar-17 16:49:37

You will. In fact I was grateful for the padding by the end. Much comfort.

PersisFord Fri 03-Mar-17 16:49:55

*comfier

AlfieTheRailwayCat Fri 03-Mar-17 16:51:22

Hi OP

I had an anterior placenta too. I didn't feel my lg until probably around 22 weeks. I could see her moving at the 20 week scan but couldn't feel it.
At the end though I could feel lots of big kicks and movements. Remember as your bump grows the placenta can't take up the entire front. With regards to reduced movements you just have to monitor what is normal for you and your baby and take it from there.

insomniaat4am Fri 03-Mar-17 16:51:36

I had anterior twice. Didn't feel things as strongly as others and never saw body parts poking out of my bump but deffo felt lots of movement especially low down and at the sides.

namechange20050 Fri 03-Mar-17 16:51:39

You will! Don't worry. I had anterior placenta, felt movement from 22 weeks and by the end was feeling battered like everyone else!

Hullabaloo31 Fri 03-Mar-17 16:55:03

I had anterior placentas both times and believe me you will feel baby! If it's your first (it sounds like it is) you'll probably only start feeling flutters about now anyway. I had no problem feeling somersaults, punches, feet wedged under ribs and even regular hiccups. Have you seen youtube vids of babies moving about? No way is any placenta going to muffle that!

enchantmentandlove Fri 03-Mar-17 16:55:35

I had an anterior placenta, and still felt lots of movements (dd has always had long legs!). I actually didn't even know I had one until my 3d scan when I was about 6 months pregnant, then I looked back at my records and yes it was written from my earliest scan. But I think because I didn't know and it was my first pregnancy, I just accepted the movements for what they were and treasured them. And trust me, once they get bigger you will definitely feel kicks!

TheOnlyLivingBoiInNewCork Fri 03-Mar-17 16:57:04

Sorry but you need some perspective. You have a healthy pregnancy. There are people who are robbed at their scan, and you weren't.

You still feel plenty of movement with an AP.

Okite Fri 03-Mar-17 16:57:49

Later on your entire bump will shift from side to side when the baby turns around, don't worry you will most definitely feel it!

RyanStartedTheFire Fri 03-Mar-17 16:58:56

*Sorry but you need some perspective. You have a healthy pregnancy. There are people who are robbed at their scan, and you weren't.

You still feel plenty of movement with an AP.*

This. I had an anterior placenta with my second. I still felt kicks like normal, just a bit later.

millyhopemum Fri 03-Mar-17 16:59:22

Thanks guys.
Yes this is my first and so I'm a bit of a worrier with it all.
I know it will take longer I just pray that I'll get them Mike Tyson punches lol.

Did everyone's placenta eventually move back? I keep reading about it becoming placenta previa and causing problems.

I'm such a worry wart lol x

Heatherbell1978 Fri 03-Mar-17 17:00:14

I've just given birth to DD and had AP. Trust me, I felt movements! My mw told me she's annoyed that people seem to think it means you won't feel anything as it stops women spotting the signs of reduced movement. For the record I also have a DS who was Posterior and I didn't notice any difference with movements between the two pregnancies.

Pieinatin Fri 03-Mar-17 17:00:39

I had an anterior placenta with ds and although I did go in to hospital a few times because I couldn't feel him move sometimes (he was always fine) I still felt plenty of movement from about 22 weeks onwards. Sometimes he would shift position and my whole bump would do this weird rolling motion grin

He would also stick his feet and arms out the side of my bump and my partner used to be able to almost tickle his foot which was lovely.

It also never caused any problems finding his heartbeat or with scans. The only thing I found was that I looked alot bigger than my non anterior pregnant friends, but that could have been due to both my placenta and ds being rather on the large side smile

PunjanaTea Fri 03-Mar-17 17:01:08

I've had both an anterior and posterior (is that right?) placenta and honestly after about 25 weeks it really didn't seem to make that much difference.

mrscrocopop Fri 03-Mar-17 17:03:05

I have an anterior placenta and can feel baby fine. Sometimes the kicks are really hard and I am glad I have some cushioning. I can imagine it is very uncomfortable at times without.

Mummyh2016 Fri 03-Mar-17 17:03:30

I have anterior placenta and apart from tues-thurs this week when it had moved down slightly covering the baby (I'm guessing as didn't feel as much) I've still felt lots of kicks and movements. I'm 24+5.

TheDisreputableDog Fri 03-Mar-17 17:07:48

My placenta was anterior, it meant I was a little late feeling the movements at first (approx 23/24 weeks) but they certainly came on and I could feel her wriggling around. Try not to worry

ItsTimeForDuggee Fri 03-Mar-17 17:09:57

Sorry unlike everyone else who has posted so far I had an anterior placenta and I hardly felt any movement or kicking at all. towards the end of pregnancy I was monitored twice a week at the hospital

BreatheDeep Fri 03-Mar-17 17:12:12

I've had both. First was anterior - felt movements from 14 weeks. Second was posterior and also felt movements from 14 weeks. The movements in later pregnancy were almost unbearable with the posterior one. Much preferred having an anterior one!

enchantmentandlove Fri 03-Mar-17 17:14:36

To answer your second question - mine never did move, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe it only can cause issues if it's low down.

glasshalfsomething Fri 03-Mar-17 17:19:46

milly, I'm at the same time and have the exact same issue. It's hard when you hear so many people referring to movements from 16weeks+.

It's been really reassuring however, to read all the other comments about it happening just a bit later!

EpoxyResin Fri 03-Mar-17 17:27:30

My best friend had an anterior placenta with her second. She said that the only times she felt movement were if she lay down very still in a quiet room with her hands on her bump... and even then there were no guarantees. And she went two weeks overdue!

Saying that her little boy was (although isn't now at 2 years old!) the calmest, most placid baby ever and slept through the night from 2 weeks old. So perhaps she wouldn't have felt all that much even if her placenta had been posterior!

By the sounds of it her experience is uncommon though. But don't worry too much; I imagine the movements you'll feel will have as much to do with the baby you're growing as anything else. I had a sporadic lazy bones so was in for monitoring all the time - I envied all my friends with their regular, dependable kicking babes :P

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Fri 03-Mar-17 17:27:31

I had an anterior placenta with my first. It didn't move. It did mean I needed to make sure I counted I'd had enough kicks each day by the end. With my second it was very different and I was woken by a massive kick party early every morning.

Please don't waste your pregnancy worrying about missing out on feeling as many kicks. Focus on the fact you have a healthy baby. This is nothing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now