Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to tell DS he'll be a brother

(2 Posts)
QwertyScrewdriver Fri 03-Mar-17 12:07:58

Sorry for the very long post.
Woohooo I got my BFP!!! We're only on our second month of trying and I'd already got a few negative tests this cycle after messing dates up but it's definitely a yes!
We already have a DS who's nearly 5, we've always said to ourselves we'd tell him first. Previous pregnancy I had an obvious bump at 6/7 weeks, enough for people to congratulate me, so if it follows suit this time round it would be hard to hide from family. We briefly discussed telling him on his birthday as we'll be seeing both sets of grandparents after and he can share the news with them (make him feel involved) but we've realised he wouldn't then be able to keep it to himself afterwards, the whole playground, neighbours and friends will all know as 5 year olds and secrets don't mix. The date we had in mind would make me 7 weeks (which is super early).
DSis is also pregnant (about 6 weeks ahead of me) and has already been trying to join the dots when I've accidentally mentioned tiredness/feeling sick. They all know/suspect we've been trying and every time I speak to them I feel like I'm going to blurt it out.
Should I tell DSis/parents/in-laws when I planned to and wait until 12 week scan (when we'd be ready to tell the world) to tell DS?
Pregnancy with DS was a surprise and just before we were ready, so announcing was a scary time as we didn't know what reactions we'd be met with. This time around we're really looking forward to doing it without worrying about what anyone says!

Sewingbeatshousework Fri 03-Mar-17 12:17:06

Congratulations! I'm nearly 20wks, DC are 7 & 9. This was a very scary (but lovely after the shock!) surprise baby and DH is still finding it hard to come to terms with & I think keeping it a secret was making him very anxious. After DD asked what the app on my phone called 'the bump' was we decided just to tell them, we told close family the same weekend. I was 6 weeks and already looked pregnant due to bloating.

What we did tell the DC though was that although I was pregnant, it wasn't a baby yet, it was more like a seed & sometimes but not often, it doesn't become a baby so we would find out at 12 week scan if everything was OK. They were already aware of miscarriage though as some friends parents had experienced it.

There's no right or wrong way and I agonised for ages whether to tell them or wait. What we didn't want to happen was for them to find out from someone else. BUT I am an awful secret keeper 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now