Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Holiday in rural Scotland - 32 weeks

(6 Posts)
KLG3101 Fri 03-Mar-17 08:27:19

Not going to fly post 30 weeks this PG. Would you feel safe in rural Scotland (Skye) at 32 weeks? Planning our summer break. DD1 came at 35+5 out of the blue.

Italwaysworksitselfout Fri 03-Mar-17 09:16:07

Skye has a community hospital in Portree and there are medical practices. It's not that rural. I would go as Skye is an amazing destination. You'll be safe

SockQueen Fri 03-Mar-17 10:41:31

I was in a similar position last year - invited on a family holiday to Shetland at 31/40. I decided not to go, though I'm sure others would have in my position - it wasn't the flying, but being ~45 mins drive plus 1.5 hrs flight from the nearest big hospital with a SCBU (the island hospital has a small maternity unit but no neonatal facilities) was too much for me in "worst case scenario" mode.

As it was, the little sod DS stayed put until 42 weeks!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 03-Mar-17 10:43:28

Manged camping in Scotland at 32 weeks!! Air bed and everything!!
(slight smug grin)
As long as you take your notes am sure you will be fine!!

SeashellHoarder Fri 03-Mar-17 12:29:07

Women in Skye have babies too, you know!

The Maternity unit there will be very happy to see you if you have any twinges while there. The midwife ratio to mother's in Highland and islands is excellent.

If they have any concerns they'll whisk you off to their referral centre. I think that's raigmore in Inverness.

But how will you get there? Will it be a very long time in the car?

KLG3101 Fri 03-Mar-17 17:41:12

Thank you all. It's booked so the little one must stay out and not surprise us atol!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now